Discuss new consumer unit certification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

@daveysing Did you read the guides uploaded by Julie earlier in the thread? It shows what does and doesn’t need a warrant. I should have read back myself.

Perhaps the electrician genuinely didn’t know.

The thing is, the estate agent themselves should know… They will have been selling flats before and this issue would have come up previously.

What if DIY Dave had just picked up a consumer unit and a load of breakers from his local B&Q or screwfix and done it themselves?
What certification would exist then?

I remember this discussion before with @Julie. on the situation in Scotland and it seems that you need a building warrant if you are making any substantive changes to the building structure or they risk impacting on neighbours, for example installing new sockets that require walls to be chiselled out to accommodate them, etc.

However, a like-for-like rewire or replacement of accessories or a CU don't require a Scottish building warrant. But obviously they need to be done competently and so you should get documentation in the form of an EIC showing the unit was tested properly, etc.

Last edited:
Is that even in a flat?
If you read the PDF file from post #22 it says for flats under 'Note 2':

A building warrant is not required for rewiring where it is a repair or replacement works to a level equal to the installation (or part thereof) being repaired or replaced.

The generally related notes, probably not too important here, relating to the PDF file from post #34 are under section 3:

Sockets
There must be no electrical sockets or switches in the bathroom other than a dedicated shaver socket and pull cord switches.

Recessed lights
It is important that recessed light fittings are installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions particularly with regards to maintaining free air movement around the holder for cooling and for the avoidance of wetting. The existing insulation to the roof space must not be compromised by the addition of the recessed lights. When fitting the recessed lights, the floor/roof structure must not be affected.

Note - All electrical installations must be carried out by a competent installer, for example a member of SELECT or NICEIC

As far as I can see the "Scotland warrant" (in part) is the equivalent of the "English Party Wall Award" for which a "Party Wall Surveyor" has to be appointed, I wonder how many of you guys have worked on a party wall without the necessary clearance/award being in place? 😇

What certification do I need when replacing a consumer unit ?

Here are the details.

I am semi retired (electrician) and work for a company as the maintenance man which rents out flats as serviced accommodation, we are currently in the process of having the flats (25 of them) tested (fixed wiring testing EICR)

We have brought in an outside company to do the testing and one of the flats will require a board change.

The company have quoted for this and various other C1 and C3 fault rectifications and as well as that have said that the smoke detectors require work done to them as well.

I know that the smoke detectors are out with the scope of an EICR and together with some of the other "faults" they have flagged up I think they are trying to generate income.

Can I change the board myself ? if so what certification would I need bearing in mind all the fixed wiring has been tested and the results logged on the EICR.
We are in scotland and I've trawled tinternet for the answers but its very confusing, is it a minor works certificate needed ? building control informed ?EIC ?
Ta
Do these flats fall under the Scottish PRS? If they do you will need to be NICEIC or SELECT registered, else have a valid SJIB card and jump through those hoops?

As far as I can see the "Scotland warrant" (in part) is the equivalent of the "English Party Wall Award" for which a "Party Wall Surveyor" has to be appointed, I wonder how many of you guys have worked on a party wall without the necessary clearance/award being in place? 😇
Just to be clear the "Party Wall Surveyor" work for the Act not either party on the respective sides of the part wall.

So long as you have a certificate from the installer to show it was done to a professional standard then I don't see any problem at all.

The council are basically washing their hands of the matter!

Reply to new consumer unit certification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock