Discuss New to the forum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi There, I'm new to the forum and currently in training. I'll probably get a bashing on here as I'm taking the short route to qualification. I have a bachelors degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, I was a control systems engineer for 7 years, hands on commissioning in the field out in the UAE on well heads. I then worked for a consultancy for 3 years specifying control systems in the Water industry and for the last 10 years have been a project manager for a fire and security systems company running installations on construction sites.

I've decided I want to set up on my own as an electrician and I'm happy doing domestic work only, I've seen and had enough of the contracting business, its cut throat, contractual and everyone is out to shaft everyone. If I do go contracting i'll happily install fire and security systems but I know without the 3 years as an apprentice and all the training I wouldn't be confident or competent to work in industrial/commercial systems.

I'm going to do my Part P, 17th Ed, and City and Guilds 2394 Initial and 2395 Periodic. I'm already confident working on domestic systems but want to get the papers and more training so I can go out and work on systems and sign them off.

I can see why you guys get frustrated with Electrical Trainee courses, I have brought my regs books, on site guide, part P book and I'm picking through them in my own time before I even get on the short courses. I want to know them inside out before I go on a course. I have to agree with you because even with my electrical/electronic background there is still a shed load to learn even as a mere DI. Surely people cant just be going on Electrical Trainee courses and going out working.

Anyway just to say I am a conscientious person, know my limits and won't touch anything that I am no confident with.

Anyway, just starting out, just in (self) training at the moment. Hope I won't be too disliked for the route I'm taking but at 40 with 3 kids and a mortgage I cant find time out to do a three year course. If I don't feel confident at the end of my training/exams I won't go out and work so rest assured I will be a Electrical Trainee with a conscience.

Hope to chat to more of you soon.

Welcome to the forum charlie76 .. if you can supply your course details then we will give you access to our training sector where we have mentors ready to answer any level of question you may have... click below and follow the link

Announcements - Trainees Only

Welcome to the forum mate.

Hi
Not sure on short courses, as they see just aimed at passing the course than learning. The age we live in were to pass is more important for the school/college/FE than knowing a subject and asking questions. Felt asking questions was eating in the limited time.

Quick version of the 2330/2365 part time class only courses is called 2397 I think now
A lot of the part P are just courses ie not reg with ofqual but the likes of napit take (I say napit as they give a god qualifications guide)
Also the 2394/5 hasn't really gotten me any were gaining the qualifications when being self employed,
I guess the aim would be to get enough qualifications to join a governing body (tho p would be a plus I think as they class that as having two years experience)
If I was doing it on the quick min part p and 17th I believe ask napit what you need (they after your money to join them)
Or 2397 17th and part p

Think a good FE in Nottingham is training in electrical's, think that's the right name. I did a logic cert 2394 (don't do logic cerf at all) and eal 2395, button can do you part p and the 2394/5 if keen

Quick version of the 2330/2365 part time class only courses is called 2397 I think now
A lot of the part P are just courses ie not reg with ofqual but the likes of napit take (I say napit as they give a god qualifications guide)

I know I'm a sex god but it looks like I might have to join napit and see what other god qualifications I can have... :)

@DuaneMHunt1976, yes it is traininginelectrical in nottingham who I am going with. One reason is, I live in Notts but secondly they were very helpful when I rang up, knowledgeable and weren't solely out to get my money. They advised me against some courses and advised me which ones would be better (which were cheaper than what I was looking at) so either their sales guy is **** or they genuinely want you to go down the right route.

Don't get me wrong tho, I agree with all qualified electricians and yourself, these courses aren't for learning, they are for getting a bit of paper. You cant learn anything in that short time. I'm half way through reading the IET part P book and thats taken me over a week as I read and read and read each paragraph until I understand it.

I'm not fooled into thinking the course will make me an electrician overnight, I'm going to spend a shed load of time learning theory and correct practice on my own. Luckily, I know quite a lot of the theory through my degree, its the regs I need to be spot on with.

All the course for 2394/5 is.the same for all logic cerf/eal/c&g

Logic cerf for me wasn't good making, for a question 3marks and below you have to get 100%
4-7 you can lose 1mark... So you need 75% of the makes on each question
With me I can right things wrong, so can lose marks but pick them up else were.
With logic cert I couldn't
And I think I lost marks on wording, using limitations when it should of been scope.
Tried to point out they are the same word just one is half fall and one is half empty.

So I did my 2395 with eal, I split the courses at a cost of a extra ÂŁ150 odd
This gave me 5 days on each course 2394 with logic cert and 2395 with eal
Did it so more.time and I didn't muff up two courses if I lost it.
I would rate the c&g version as hard and more impressive to get
Eal/logic cerf 2394/5 are open book c&g isnt

for the regs, for me I did it from memory from my classroom talk, then tried to check with the book as.it is open book.
The class I took just got me to highlight and mark some interesting point, I guess I did learn a bit as the class did talk a bit about each part

As for my qualifications being god or good
I have just done the classroom side of things so no hands on
Us boys learn more by hands on (that chat up line never works for me)
And I did a easier version of the 2394/5 in my view
I don't believe in the C&G way of remembering things, because little things change and if you have it stuck in your head to do it a set way then you proberly won't check to make sure, that it is right and is still true by today's standards

Say hi to rob for me I do like him and you can chat to him, he listens and reply or if he isn't sure gets back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm a sex god but it looks like I might have to join napit and see what other god qualifications I can have... :)

sex god???? thar's lark them cotton mills in lanky cher. good while they lasted , but now defunct. :6:

Ahh I see what's wrong, your part p qualification will be logic cerf.
Do note I'm dyslexic so reading isn't my strong point or expressing myseft.
So for me logic cerf is a no go, it's not good odds for myself

So for me I would have to find a place doing 2397, two reasons. I don't think I could pass a logic cerf and I don't understand the part p courses
I'm looking at pdf file from napit Google napit qualifications
I think as I read it, the part p is limited time

Important* note:* these* are* not* qualifications* but* certificates* and* they* will* be* issued* with* an* expiry* date.* The* certificate* must*be* in* date* at* the* time* of* application* to* a* NAPIT* registration* scheme,* but* renewal* is* not* necessary* to* remain* on* the* scheme* as*ongoing*surveillance*by*NAPIT*is*required.*
SUITABLE* FOR* WORK*IN*DWELLINGS* ONLY
E603 Domestic*Installer* Course*Logic* Certification*DEI

Were the courses your doing is
Domestic Electrical Installer Course including Part P of the Building Regulations

I can't find on the ofqual site

I am self employed truing to jump in with a guy from college to learn about the real world
I was.dam smart with.maths computer and electronics at college
I did want to be a Maths teacher or a electrician at school
But in a mock interview at school I explained the flow of Electricity like water
I got called studies it dosnt come out of taps

I'm with.niceic after a.disagreement with.a.napit ----essor
But napit had a.good pdf file of.the.qualifications needed to get in
The qualifications, cost and tests.are not.different from one governing body to another

EAL 7859 Qualified Supervisor Fast Track Electrical Course
Is a.4-6week course found in.Watford

And 2397 I'm not sure.the.time.from but.also down London way

sex god???? thar's lark them cotton mills in lanky cher. good while they lasted , but now defunct. :6:

haha. I don't have much of a Lancashire accent. The mills are great for student accommodations now.... They have even taken over my old work place.

Reply to New to the forum in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net