putting a 110volt socket in my van | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss putting a 110volt socket in my van in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bow3723

hi im a plumber and with the contract im currently working on i need some 110volt juice outside away from sockets etc. i want to fit a 110volt socket in my van and havent got a clue what to use or how to wire it up please help

not the rating tho the one shown is rated at 1500w dont just assume "its says 16a on the plug then it MUST take 16a!"

you could also have a look at auctions selling ex gas board or some other utility company vans as these have inverters fitted might be able to pick one up second hand

And remember you will have to have the van running or else will chew your battery up.Do it to often and you will end up with a duff battery.Will also put alot of strain on your alternator

What's the effect you're ultimately trying to achieve here?
If you want this inverter to run high powered equipment all day you might find it just drains your battery so you'll be stuck on site. Or you could leave the engine running with the keys in the ignition, which your insurance company might not be too happy about.
Do you often need to provide your own 110v power supply on other jobs?
Would you be better off just hiring a genny? Or getting a battery powered version of whatever you're trying to use?

NovusSparkus has hit the nail on the head there.

unless you get a couple (at least 2 if your using anything for a long time) of leisure/caravan batteries and link them up so your van battery isnt effected by them running down, (easy to do but batteries can be expensive). then your only option is a genny. In my opinion a genny is your only and best option.........what if you cant park up next to where your working? plus you can sell it on after fairly easily after the contract if you don't need it any more.

Reply to putting a 110volt socket in my van in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net