Discuss RCD Test of SWA Cable in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Having a bit of a brain freeze moment.

I have a 2-core SWA cable running to an outbuilding. The sheath is used to earth this cable back to the consumer unit in the house which is TNC-S, while the outbuilding has its own earth electrode (ie it's TT) protecting its Consumer Unit. That's to say I've not exported to PME to the outbuilding as it's a long way from the main building. The SWA cable is thus protected from someone putting a shovel through it by the RCD in the main building (It's a single RCD which protects all the circuits).

All well and good, but, and don't ask, I've totally blanked how to test the RCD in the house to ensure a fault with the SWA cable will trip it. As I recall I just energise the MCB covering the SWA, connect my earth lead to the disconnected earth conductor which is connected to the sheath of the SWA cable and then the line lead to the top of the RCD (Line) and do the test, repeating for the neutral.

I know I don't have to do this as such, I could just test the RCD from anywhere in the main house for the paperwork, but it's for piece of mind really that everything connecting the house to the outbuilding has been done right, and it will trip the RCD in the main house under fault conditions of the SWA.

Would you not be better to omit the house rcd for the swa and use local rcd or RCBO’s for the outhouse circuits?
or even a 100mA unit if you can’t achieve discontinue times without.

and yes, to test rcd you could just attach leads to incoming supply to outhouse consumer unit.

Reply to RCD Test of SWA Cable in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock