Search the forum,

Discuss Shower pull cord position in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MTI

Hi all, any advice most appreciated and thanks in advance!

Basically an older house with seperate shower (elederly walk in shower with screen) and seperate toilet room. Full rewire to be done and exisiting pull cord position is directly outside shower screen which is 12" ish from ceiling. Its a smaller house where the bathroom is basically narrow which means that the door opening is to the right of room as you look in (tight against outside wall) and within a couple of inches of the left door frame, the shower cubicle is sited which is then tight up to opposite external wall. I cant definatley say until tommorow that the area between the shower screen and the other outer wall (width of door) is any larger than 600mm but its a thought that will stop me seeping tonight! does anyone have any recommendations as to where the pull cord should go if its not able to be sited further than 600mm from shower screen. Hard to explain the layout but maybe i could do a diagram. I assume it cannot go in the cupboard next to bathroom?

just about to consult the regs etc now.

Thanks all

have you thought of fitting a wall switch outside the bathroom. easier to terminate, and less prone to failure.

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill have to comment on ceiling height tomorrow if its still an issue when i can measure this but i just want to sleep well tonight haha! I very doubt the ceiling is much more than 2m though.
Its a full rewire to be done however the shower install is last few years and done by some private bathroom firm etc etc and is obviously installed to the best of their convenience.
The shower cubicle and bathroom door are side by side and is the full width of bathroom itself. Im just unsure if i can install the pull cord and measure a distance from edge of box that will put it out of zone 2. Ill have to confirm this tommorrow if its still an issue but im relocating the CU a couple of feet higher anyway for access and so i might be able to squeeze a couple of foot extra on the cable and pull its length forward towards bathroom in order to install a wall switch instead.

So do we agree that if its not possible to locate it out of zone 2 then a wall switch outside is required due to layout and size of room?

cheers all

So do we agree that if its not possible to locate it out of zone 2 then a wall switch outside is required due to layout and size of room?

Nothing wrong with putting the switch outside, saves getting crap in the eye when trying to wrestle those 2 x 10mm cables into the pullcord switch.

Nothing wrong with putting the switch outside, saves getting crap in the eye when trying to wrestle those 2 x 10mm cables into the pullcord switch.

Agreed - i know there is nothing wrong with it and hate pull cords totally but the main issue is that bathroom may not be physically large enough to allow a pull cord and be out of zones and the wall is single skin block which is that naff thermal stuff too!
If bathroom is too small and i can manage to mount one on wall outside, what height do we recommend?

As its just a rewire, the client has asked sockets to be located as existing, like for like with 300mm to top.

On the subject of rewire, i have added mains interlinked smoke and heat detetectors but is a bathroom fan a must if the window opens? tiny bathroom and decent window but the budget is tight although we all know the benefits. Might talk them into it but out of interest, is a fan mandatory for a rewire?

A fan IS NOT mandatory on a rewire. There was a lovely detailed thread discussing this a short while back, I'll see if I can search for it in a moment.

As for the isolator switch, you can locate it at an "Accessible Height". I usually try to stay within the 1200 to be honest regardless of rewire or new build:thumbsup

If the property was being "Refurbished" then all your switch/socket heights would have to be altered;)

A fan IS NOT mandatory on a rewire. There was a lovely detailed thread discussing this a short while back, I'll see if I can search for it in a moment.

As for the isolator switch, you can locate it at an "Accessible Height". I usually try to stay within the 1200 to be honest regardless of rewire or new build:thumbsup

If the property was being "Refurbished" then all your switch/socket heights would have to be altered;)
Thanks for the info and locating the detailed thread would be massively appreciated too! You will know what to search for as i had a look but nothing detailed showed up straight away.

Agree totally on the old 450-1200 for outlets and points but some give and take here and there on this one as its an elderly couple. 450 for sockets would suit them better but the want minimal damage. I have even gone to the extent of pulling through old capping instead of chasing again where poss and its not my duty to make good! god im helpful at times!

Im just wanting everything bob on as im going to use it for my 1st elecsa as my employee usually does the tickets but its time to get my own! bricking it :(

[If the property was being "Refurbished" then all your switch/socket heights would have to be altered;)[/QUOTE]

No they don't!

tin hat on.

Reply to Shower pull cord position in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back