Discuss Socket Zs High in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vanman my friend

I think you must agree, that if 6A a breaker will trip with a 7A fault current(CPC-L), then it surely will trip with a *a current short circuit(L-N).

As Zs between L-E has a higher value, than Zs between L-N, only Zs for L-E is measured.

CPC wire on a 6mm T&E is 2.5mm, and N wire is 6mm.
Therefore current through the L-CPC path( 6mm+2.5mm) will be less, than the Current through L-N path(6mm+6mm).

If there is no earth continuity then its potentially fatal, but if Neutral is missing or non continuous then it no big deal, it comes apparent in the functional test.

My names not Glenn!

OK, I see where your coming from but having a good Zs does not guarantee that the L-N impedance is lower - there could be a high resistance connection somewhere on thev neutral!

Last edited:
My names not Glenn!

OK, I see where your coming from but having a good Zs does not guarantee that the L-N impedance is lower - there could be a high resistance connection somewhere on thev neutral!

Thank god we r on the same page

I agree with your comment of a Hi z on the N wire.

But that's another reason why Zs is measured between L-CPC, it ensures the earth fault durations are limited.

But that's another reason why Zs is measured between L-CPC, it ensures the earth fault durations are limited.

But that's what Zs IS ​- earth fault cuurrent

The same test between L & N is called the prospective short circuit current.

The greater of these two is the prospective fault current

"I think you must agree, that if 6A a breaker will trip with a 7A fault current(CPC-L), then it surely will trip with a 8A current short circuit(L-N)."

Will it?????
ever???
in 0.4s ??

Check the cable terminals are nice and tight at both ends going to the suspect socket.

If cable long enough, re-strip and make new terminations.

Now measure Zs at both ends of the cable.

If the cable is only 300mm, replace cable and there should be un-measurable difference in Zs at both ends.

Am I missing something?

Shouldn't the reading be 0.35 (or even less with parallel paths) at all the sockets?

1666 ensures the RCD will disconnect before voltage rises above 50V.
It should not be used to ignore maximum Zs values - unless unavoidable (e.g. TT)

Totally agree, should be getting a Zs of around 0.35ohms at each socket outlet. Sounds like a loose connection at one of the sockets.....

Not true!!!

R1+R2 should be the same at each socket outlet. Zs will increase towards the middle of the ring and decrease back towards the DB therefore you will get a reading of around 0.35Ω near the middle of the ring.

Not true!!!

R1+R2 should be the same at each socket outlet. Zs will increase towards the middle of the ring and decrease back towards the DB therefore you will get a reading of around 0.35Ω near the middle of the ring.

Agreed to a point (Hence "around" 0.35ohms)
I believe the ring in question is fairly small and the figures the op states seem way off by 1 and a bit ohms....seems alot to me, especially as he states these sockets are all on the ring final and not spurs.

"I think you must agree, that if 6A a breaker will trip with a 7A fault current(CPC-L), then it surely will trip with a 8A current short circuit(L-N)."

Will it?????
ever???
in 0.4s ??

Geoff, my friend, Zs is the impedance of the circuit, and not a current.

Lister, my friend, a 6A type B CB will trip in 0.4Sec with a minimum of 30A current. 7A & 8A were given as examples.

There fore 230V/30A = 7.67 Ohms is the theoretical max Zs for a 6A type B CB.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Moses
Thank god we r on the same page

I agree with your comment of a Hi z on the N wire.

high Z...well that`s changed then....a minure ago it was Zs....

Yes but no, but yes but no, but yes but no Glenn

That Hi Z on the N wire is a fault, faulty connection.!!!!!!!!

Agreed to a point (Hence "around" 0.35ohms)
I believe the ring in question is fairly small and the figures the op states seem way off by 1 and a bit ohms....seems alot to me, especially as he states these sockets are all on the ring final and not spurs.

Sipmles he has not zeeored

or

he has a low battery

or

He has a faulty meter

I had to send my Megger 1730 back a couple of weeks ago because the EFLI test at a socket (using plug adaptor OR on the terminals) was way higher than I was expecting. As has been said, it can be the internal resistance of the MCB/RCD so that would have to be deducted.
All that said, once I got my new 1730 and did the same tests, they were very close to Ze+(R1+R2), so it was definitely a faulty tester in my case.

Edit... Forgot to add. I have to do a 3-wire no-trip test, as the 2-wire is always at least 0.5 ohms higher!

Last edited:
Sorry for delay - something crashed.

Geoff, my friend, Zs is the impedance of the circuit, and not a current.
Yes, I'm sorry. I should have written -

But that's what Zs IS ​- a measured value to determine prospective earth fault cuurrent

The same test between L & N is to determine the prospective short circuit current.

The greater of these two is the prospective fault current.

Reply to Socket Zs High in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net