Discuss Solar installation - DNO limit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Octopus seems to come out no1 for SEG at this exact moment in time, may change in the next month, hour or second.
Subject to the install being MCS / Flex Orb certified.

Not sure what their prices are at the moment because they won't tell you online. I rang them a couple of weeks ago and the prices for electricity and gas were outrageous, and this was pre 1 April prices!

Not sure what their prices are at the moment because they won't tell you online. I rang them a couple of weeks ago and the prices for electricity and gas were outrageous, and this was pre 1 April prices!

I think energy prices for the near future will be like stock market share prices, set at the exact moment you sign up for the Energy supply.

Just ordered a small (1000 litres) quantity of heating oil. Usually the best price is "we'll deliver it sometime in the next month, when we get around to it". This time, I was given a significantly better price for "a semi emergency delivery" in just three days time.

Hi, I'm new here, having recently had nearly 13kWp of solar panels installed on a barn roof, feeding into two Solis inverters (covering about 10 kWp and 3kWp respectively). I'm on a single phase supply and was surprised when told that the DNO limited my export to 3.68kWp - if I had known beforehand that there would be such a limit, I would probably have gone for fewer panels, but I didn't. Both inverters feed into a consumer unit in the barn, which in turn is on a sub-main from the property's main meter, consumer unit and fusebox.

I now understand that inverters limit export to the grid by dissipating excess power, and my current question is how does an inverter know how much to export without somehow knowing how much power is being consumed by other circuits on the main CU ? For example, last week I was getting 8kW from the inverters, which was addressing my base load of about 1kW and the rest going into my electric car (on its own feed from the main CU). If the car not been plugged in, there would have been about 7kW available to export to the grid - how would the inverters know to limit their output to 1+3.68 = 4.68kW ?
How much are getting to export ? 5p per kw ?

Hi. Newbie here. I have just had 22 solar panels fitted, facing three different directions. 10 panels on one 3.6kW inverter (two strings of 5 panels facing one direction) and 12 panels on one 5kW inverter (two strings each of six panels, facing 180 degrees apart). The DNO have restricted our feed in to 3.6KW and I am told the easiest way of doing this is to disable feed in from the 5KW inverter completely. The downside to this means that at certain times (late in the day) the 3.6kW inverter will be inactive but the 5KW inverter unable to export. Is there any alternative way to wire the system, i.e. that the 3.6KW restriction applies, irrespective of which inverter is generated (but the 5KW inverter not disabled for export)?

I am not an expert in this ...
I think you may need either :
  • Inverters (note the plural) which can link together and collectively control export power
  • A single inverter that will do it - and link all the panels to the one inverter
It might work to configure your exiting inverters to limit export power, but there's a good chance they'll interact - e.g. one inverter reduces power to limit export, the other one sees reduced export and increases it's output. Particularly if you set the limits slightly differently, then this might work - but it's something you'd need to try to be sure. So if you (for example) configured the 3.6kW inverter to limit to 3.5kW, and the 5kW inverter to 3.6kW, then (ignoring local usage) in the morning the 5kW inverter will ramp up as the sun comes up, the 3.6kW inverter will effectively stay shut down until the 5kW system loses capacity due to angle of the panels at which point it will ramp up, then later the 5kW system will ramp up as the sun gets on the panels and the 3.6kW system will ramp down.

In any case, the inverter (or set of inverters) would need to be able to monitor export power and restrict it to your permitted power - I think this is a common feature by putting a current clamp on your meter tail(s). You can generate more if you are using power on site - in which case what you use will be free and the inverter will supply this load in addition to your export limit. So it is valid to have (as you have) 8.6kW of inverter capacity - meaning that you could be using 5kW on site at the same time as exporting 3.6kW (subject to having enough sun).

Reply to Solar installation - DNO limit in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net