Search the forum,

Discuss Stud walls in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peteelecs

Help needed, I have a room to fit 2 socket outlets and 2 switches the walls are plasterboard with insulation in.How do I run the the cables? not sure even how to go about getting it through studs and insulation.Any advice would be appreciated.

drill a hole in thr top stud. cut out for your box, use rods to fish cable. if there are noggins in the way, you'll have to chip some board and make good after. remember that the cable current capacity will be reduced due to the insulation. depending on the insulation density, it might be a pig. good luck

Last edited:
drill a hole in thr top stud. cut out for your box, use rods to fish cable. if there are noggins in the way, you'll have to chip some board and make good after. remember that the cable current capacity will be reduced due to the insulation. depending on the insulation density, it might be a pig. good luck

As stated by telectrix above, but use 1.5mm cable for lights and you will be OK with insulation, usually not enough current to worry about thermal effects, but it is a good point anyway. If you cut the board away at noggins, cut into the noggin as well for the cable so it is well below the surface, at least picture hook depth.

Cheers.........Howard

I once made a tool to get through tightly packed insulation.
I reamed out the inside of one end if a length of 20MM steel conduit to form a circular hole cutter. I used a cone-cut drill but I suppose you could use a rat tail file. By spinning the conduit between the palms of my hands through the hole in the top noggin from the loft I could cut a route through to the light switch below.

I reamed out the inside of one end if a length of 20MM steel conduit to form a circular hole cutter. I used a cone-cut drill but I suppose you could use a rat tail file. By spinning the conduit between the palms of my hands through the hole in the top noggin from the loft I could cut a route through to the light switch below.

what a good idea.

ian

Great idea, do you make them to order? for how much?

Reply to Stud walls in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back