Discuss Suddenly no power to ceiling light fixture in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bdr8612

DIY
Reaction score
I was replacing a ceiling light fixture this afternoon when all of a sudden there was no more power in the box. The old light was working fine before and I just turned off the switch before doing the replacement. There are 3 sets of wires in the box: power coming in, another set of wires going out, and a third that runs to the wall switch. At first, I thought it was just faulty wiring in the new light, but after putting my meter on everything in the box, there is no power in ANY of the wires. I then checked all the breakers assuming I must have crossed a wire or something but none were tripped. I even switched every breaker off and on again to be sure. I tested every other light fixture and outlet in the house and everything else is still working, which is what’s most baffling about this. It appears this light is a mid-stream fixture, because if it was the last thing on the circuit there would only be two sets of wires in the box (one coming in and one going out and back from the switch).

I’m at a completely loss for what could be happening. The only thing I can think of is if there is some hidden box in my ceiling where a wire has come loose, but I still feel like something else should have no power since power can’t be leaving the box. Below is a link to a photo of the wire configuration. The black wire at the top left is between the fixture and the switch. The bottom left cluster has the white wire going to the switch and the two blacks from the other sets of wires. The other two whites are joined. When I pulled off the old fixture. The cluster of 3 was wired and tucked up in the box. The light was wired to the single black wire and the two whites.

Anyone have a clue what could be happening here? It’s baffling to me. Thanks in advance.

Photo: https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/gallery/IWdg87v

From your explanation, as above the link doesn't work your two blacks jointed to the single white is your permanent hot. What are you actually testing with because if everything else is functional it would make sense this connection is live because as you say it doesn't appear to be end of circuit.

Sorry the image didn't work. For some reason it didn't give me the option to upload from mobile when I made the post, and the external image link got all messed up.

The white and two blacks should indeed be the permanent hot. I put my meter on that wire and the two white and I'm getting a 0 voltage reading. I've touched both contacts to every combination of wires in that box and I'm getting absolutely nothing. All other light fixtures upstairs and downstairs are working, the garage and outside lights are all working, all the outlets in the kitchen (where this fixture is located) and adjacent rooms are working. It's a total mystery.Suddenly no power to ceiling light fixture 4rsKfQP - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Isolate the power, untwist the two blacks and white then make them safe in separate connectors. Switch power back on and see if your lights all still function.

So perhaps the outgoing circuit is no longer in use and for practical purposes this fixture is the last one in the line. The problem might be in the next fixture back towards the panel.

Reminder to incoming UK folks, in a US switch cable PL is white sleeved black, and SL is black Reverse of how we do it.

Ha, so I managed to figure out the problem. The one outlet I totally forgot about checking was the downstairs bathroom gfci. We never use it for anything and I just totally forgot it existed. When I looked at it, I noticed it had been tripped. I reset it and then went back and put my meter on the fixture wires. Power was restored. I’ve never heard of a bathroom gfci being connected to a kitchen ceiling light fixture, but I’m just glad my problem has been solved!

Reply to Suddenly no power to ceiling light fixture in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock