Discuss Surge Protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

aab777

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently upgraded my home panel to a Square D qo panel. I had a Siemens FS140 whole home surge protection installed in the first space on a 20 amp double pole breaker. I tend to lose power a lot and get surges from trees on the power lines when it rains.

I have two square D HEPD 50 surge protectors. I am thinking of installing one of these directly on the bus bar as shown below. Will this cause any issues? Is two better than 1 in this situation or am I going to cause them to interfere with each other?

I am also wanting to install the second one on my A/C condenser disconnect. I think I need to set a separate ground rod at the AC disconnect as it looks like the neutral and ground are connected together.

Anyone see any issues with what I am trying to do? Can you install to many surge protectors?

Hi,

I recently upgraded my home panel to a Square D qo panel. I had a Siemens FS140 whole home surge protection installed in the first space on a 20 amp double pole breaker. I tend to lose power a lot and get surges from trees on the power lines when it rains.

I have two square D HEPD 50 surge protectors. I am thinking of installing one of these directly on the bus bar as shown below. Will this cause any issues? Is two better than 1 in this situation or am I going to cause them to interfere with each other?

I am also wanting to install the second one on my A/C condenser disconnect. I think I need to set a separate ground rod at the AC disconnect as it looks like the neutral and ground are connected together.

Anyone see any issues with what I am trying to do? Can you install to many surge protectors?
You would be wasting money to buy anymore SPD’s, the one installed in your panel is a NEMA 4x SPD with a 50k rating and it’s called a whole house surge protector. Do not drive a ground rod at your HVAC unit. The ground wire and neutral wire should not be together

Reply to Surge Protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net