Discuss Unable To Reset GFCI in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wpollock

DIY
Reaction score
Upfront disclosure, I am a DIY homeowner with basic knowledge of electrical safety.
Here is my issue:
Type GFCI Outlet- Eaton TR Installed mid to late 2020
Corresponding Breaker in Main Panel- Square D 20 Amp in number 20 position
The main breaker is designated as Bath GFCI and I know for a fact that the GFCI protects two outlets in a hall bath, one outlet in a powder room, three outlets in the master bath and one outlet in a utility room. I assume all outlets protected by the GFCI are run in a series that starts at the GFCI and ends at one of the protected outlets. The one farthest from the GFCI in distance is the one behind the master bath toilet.
I plugged a 110 volt ac Vornado heater into the protected outlet located behind my master bath toilet and the heater turned on and operated normally. However, roughly one hour later I returned to find the heater off and the GFCI tripped. The corresponding main panel breaker was not tripped. The GFCI has two indicator lights, one orange and I assume the other red. The orange light is lit and I am unable to reset the GFCI. The GFCI user pamphlet says the GFCI is bad if the orange light continuously blinks which it does not. The red seen on the main breaker is due to the angle of the picture when I took it. I have unplugged everything from any receptacle known to be protected by this GFCI, tripped and reset the main breaker associated with it and am still unable to reset the GFCI. Any ideas what my problem could be are appreciated. Pictures attached of the currently installed GFCI, the corresponding main panel breaker and one I am considering using to replace if it is possible the current one has gone out.

Attachments

• Unable To Reset GFCI Hall Bath GFCI Resized - EletriciansForums.net
    Hall Bath GFCI Resized.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Unable To Reset GFCI Main Panel Bath GFCI Breaker Resized - EletriciansForums.net
    Main Panel Bath GFCI Breaker Resized.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Unable To Reset GFCI Eaton Tamper and Weater Resistant GFCI Resized - EletriciansForums.net
    Eaton Tamper and Weater Resistant GFCI Resized.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 5
Upfront disclosure, I am a DIY homeowner with basic knowledge of electrical safety.
Here is my issue:
Type GFCI Outlet- Eaton TR Installed mid to late 2020
Corresponding Breaker in Main Panel- Square D 20 Amp in number 20 position
The main breaker is designated as Bath GFCI and I know for a fact that the GFCI protects two outlets in a hall bath, one outlet in a powder room, three outlets in the master bath and one outlet in a utility room. I assume all outlets protected by the GFCI are run in a series that starts at the GFCI and ends at one of the protected outlets. The one farthest from the GFCI in distance is the one behind the master bath toilet.
I plugged a 110 volt ac Vornado heater into the protected outlet located behind my master bath toilet and the heater turned on and operated normally. However, roughly one hour later I returned to find the heater off and the GFCI tripped. The corresponding main panel breaker was not tripped. The GFCI has two indicator lights, one orange and I assume the other red. The orange light is lit and I am unable to reset the GFCI. The GFCI user pamphlet says the GFCI is bad if the orange light continuously blinks which it does not. The red seen on the main breaker is due to the angle of the picture when I took it. I have unplugged everything from any receptacle known to be protected by this GFCI, tripped and reset the main breaker associated with it and am still unable to reset the GFCI. Any ideas what my problem could be are appreciated. Pictures attached of the currently installed GFCI, the corresponding main panel breaker and one I am considering using to replace if it is possible the current one has gone out.
My friend it sounds like it just needs replacing. It’s been in service for 2 years and they are not very reliable because I have purchased some and too it to my job and sometimes they are bad straight out of the box

Make sure nothing else is plugged into the circuit and then try to reset the GFCI.

Reply to Unable To Reset GFCI in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock