Discuss Which qualifications to be self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for your input so far chaps and chapess. I've been onto the NICEIC this morning and have been looking at various sites. NICEIC say to register on the Approved Contractor scheme, he would need NVQ Level 3, then do their 17th Edition regs course and their 2394 & 2395 at a cost of around £1200 for all three. I said, what if he hasn't got the NVQ 3? I was told in that case he could possibly be given some sort of technical interview by one their people to assess if he has the required technical knowledge. Has anyone done it this way? I'm not sure if he would have the required theoretical knowledge either.
Then I was reading about the JIB ECS scheme. This seems to be a proper accreditation that says you have all the qualifications needed, am I right? If you want to call yourself a bonafide electrician do you need to have an ECS card? They say that NVQ Level 3 is mandatory.
I then came across EAS (Electrical Assessment Services) who seem to offer an NVQ level 3 (or equivalent) without actually attending college. They do it by field based assessments and by completion of a portfolio of work demonstrating all the necessary skills and knowledge, they call it REPS or RAKS programmes. JIB actually have it written on the ECS card application "For info on NVQ Level 3 Diploma in your appropriate discipline, Contact EAS UK Ltd...."
So, it seems to me it is a genuine recognised scheme, what do you think? Has anyone got experience of the organisation or getting an NVQ 3 in this way?
Would he be able to do it this way working for himself or would he have to work for a company that was already JIB member or something?

Well I studied city and guilds level 2 and level 3 at college and studied the 17th edition wiring regs.

I did a PAT training course

I do Electrical Testing and PAT Testing domestically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input so far chaps and chapess. I've been onto the NICEIC this morning and have been looking at various sites. NICEIC say to register on the Approved Contractor scheme, he would need NVQ Level 3, then do their 17th Edition regs course and their 2394 & 2395 at a cost of around £1200 for all three. I said, what if he hasn't got the NVQ 3? I was told in that case he could possibly be given some sort of technical interview by one their people to assess if he has the required technical knowledge. Has anyone done it this way? I'm not sure if he would have the required theoretical knowledge either.
Then I was reading about the JIB ECS scheme. This seems to be a proper accreditation that says you have all the qualifications needed, am I right? If you want to call yourself a bonafide electrician do you need to have an ECS card? They say that NVQ Level 3 is mandatory.
I then came across EAS (Electrical Assessment Services) who seem to offer an NVQ level 3 (or equivalent) without actually attending college. They do it by field based assessments and by completion of a portfolio of work demonstrating all the necessary skills and knowledge, they call it REPS or RAKS programmes. JIB actually have it written on the ECS card application "For info on NVQ Level 3 Diploma in your appropriate discipline, Contact EAS UK Ltd...."
So, it seems to me it is a genuine recognised scheme, what do you think? Has anyone got experience of the organisation or getting an NVQ 3 in this way?
Would he be able to do it this way working for himself or would he have to work for a company that was already JIB member or something?

Yes but their entry requirement may be level 2 - otherwise I don't see how you could do level 3 standalone and learn sufficient theory on site

Theory on site?, that was the job for the tech college, only practical on site in my day lol ( theory within reason)

I know the depth of theory has been 'softened' a bit compared to the old 236 1,2 & C but...

...same in my day, most of the older electricians I worked with would never have been able to instruct anybody in algebra let alone power factor correction or 3 phase theory - it's mostly forgotten.

Reply to Which qualifications to be self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net