Discuss Which qualifications to be self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Green Smurf

Hi guys, wasn't sure if this should go in general forum or in business section so if a mod needs to move it, fair enough and sorry. Basically I'm asking on behalf of my brother, he worked as a sparkies mate/unqualified person for a small electrical contractor in Surry/London for 4 or 5 years in late 90's and early 2000's. In those 4 or 5 years he got a pretty good level of working knowledge and a lot of hands on experience, in his last couple of years he would work pretty much unsupervised on smaller jobs (domestic rewires etc) and his boss or one of the other qualified guys would "check" his work before handover/notification or whatever. The firm did some pretty big, prestigious jobs too, commercial/retail jobs for national retailers and even on the homes of middle eastern royalty! Anyway, he never did any courses or qualifications at the time (despite his boss offering him to do training on the job). He had previously trained as a metal fabricator & welder and did that for a few years when he finished school.
When he left that job, he did some other stuff, spent quite a few years travelling around building railways. Now, he's a at a point where he doesn't want to do the travelling and be away from home all the time. He would really like to set himself up locally and work for himself. He knows a few builders locally that would use him for electrical work if he was suitably qualified and registered to do it. I run a lighting wholesale business and our other brother works for one of the national electrical wholesalers at a local branch too, so he would get plenty of referrals from us too.
So that's my very long winded way of asking a simple question is... What courses/qualifications does a person need to have to register with NICEIC/ELECSA etc and carry out electrical work?

I wrote all the background info there to give you an idea of his circumstances. He is over 40, with a mortgage and kids etc and little or no savings so doing a 3 year full time course at college and working as an apprentice/improver for another couple of years isnt really going to be possible. He is on the verge of borrowing over £5k to do some 16 week intensive course that he says will give him the qualifications he needs, but I am wary as I know of other people that have paid a lot of money to do "short intensive courses" to become a plumber/sparky/network engineer etc only to find they DON'T actually have what was required to do the job.

So if anyone can spell out exactly what minimum requirements in terms of City & Guilds or other certs that are required to register and work as an electrician (approved contractor) and then what further courses/qualifications he would need to be able to test and inspect and sign off works for building control, that would be fantastic. I really don't know whose information to trust, who is the definite authority on what makes an individual qualified? Most of the websites you find are selling courses, they are in the business of getting you signed up and taking your money, they are not concerned with whether you will be able to do what you thought you would after your 16 weeks and £5k. Will the NICEIC give out the right information. Can anyone recommend a course that would suit?

Bearing in mind he has several years experience working in the trade and is competent to a degree but would definitely need to learn a fair bit about the theory, designing installations, calculations, testing procedures and current regs.

I appreciate any constructive advice, thanks for reading guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
does he have the money ready to set himself up?

Im pretty sure on this.....If he signs up to a scheme (NAPIT/Elecsa/NICEIC) do the onsite assessment and they will specify which qualifications are needed. There will then be a specified amount of time to send in proof that these specific qualifications have been booked in and paid for.
This is all assuming he proves his competance. Bish Bash Bosh, Part P registered

You can always contact your local college! Don't go down the route of taking a short course! You will literally be left short!

You can always contact your local college! Don't go down the route of taking a short course! You will literally be left short!

Ok mate, they tore you new one, we get the picture :). You knew what you were signing up for after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, just ring NICEIC, NAPIT or one of the other competent person schemes and they will tell you minimum entry requirements. Get it from the horses mouth.

Minimum scheme requirements at present- C&G 2382, insurance, test gear, a few other odds n sods.

It's all up there on tinterweb mate.

Seriously, just ring NICEIC, NAPIT or one of the other competent person schemes and they will tell you minimum entry requirements. Get it from the horses mouth.
Yep! All the minimum entry requirements that the short course's have to offer! It certainly does NOT mean you are competent! You've lost the point! LoL!!!

Yep! All the minimum entry requirements that the short course's have to offer! It certainly does NOT mean you are competent! You've lost the point! LoL!!!

That is not your call. That is the powers that be. Your opinion is not fact and does not answer the OP's question.

I'm looking at doing the 2365 L3 to try and consolidate my qualifications. and discovered that government funding, ( like a student loan) is available for those who are 24+. There are conditions, but credit check isn't one, and it seems that repayment isn't arduous.

I'm not bitching mate! If I can stop someone making the same mistake that I made then at least I've saved someone a great deal of their hard earned cash! That's all. I will gladly take any slating off people on here! I made a mistake, yes!

That is not your call. That is the powers that be. Your opinion is not fact and does not answer the OP's question.

I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land mate! The 'Short Course' I completed offered a discount when you join the NICEIC and they ARE hand in glove together!

That's just business mate. NICEIC and all the other CPS schemes know they have potential clients coming off these courses so it is just targeted marketing.

I'm the one with the qualifications in our business, gained over the years from a time served apprenticeship joining the JIB and various courses 2391 16th and 17th editions qualifying supervisor site management ect ect.
My business partner never saw any courses through, and yet he is one of the finest hands on electricians I have ever met. Some of the installs he has run and completed within the commercial sector were large and complex. He coped with it all and has gone through his working life without any supporting paperwork. You do need paperwork and I'm sure he regrets not having any. But it doesn't always mean your a better spark for it.
I would say he is probably an exception to the rule though.

Reply to Which qualifications to be self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net