Discuss Which qualifications to be self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's just business mate. NICEIC and all the other CPS schemes know they have potential clients coming off these courses so it is just targeted marketing.

Agreed, but the schemes are taking on below standard applicants! Show them your 2382, regs book, insurance blah blah blah, oh nearly forgot the cheque! And you are in! After completing my course I was in no way ready to work unsupervised let alone go self employed! Let's face it 2392 is the minimum standard needed to be PART pee!

Well maybe for him. I started out doing short courses 9 years ago and to be honest, as it has turned out, it was the best thing I ever did. I have done more quals since then and am fully qualified now but it certainly got me started. I think you've either got it or you haven't.

Minimum scheme requirements at present- C&G 2382, insurance, test gear, a few other odds n sods.

It's all up there on tinterweb mate.

So a quick look on City & Guilds site about 2382 says it is 30 guided learning hours, doesnt seem like a lot? It also says this:
[h=2]About this level[/h]This level will suit you if you're a practising electrician with specific qualifications, who needs to update your certification to meet the latest edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations. Alternatively, your'e a newly qualified electrician who needs to gain this certificate.

So, if you're a newly qualified electrician, what course do you do to become qualified? The city & guilds site also mentions progressing to NVQ level 2 & 3 on the pages for some of their other courses (2330)? Are the NVQ qualifications not required? It is very confusing to ascertain exactly what quals are actually required!

Well maybe for him. I started out doing short courses 9 years ago and to be honest, as it has turned out, it was the best thing I ever did. I have done more quals since then and am fully qualified now but it certainly got me started. I think you've either got it or you haven't.
What short courses did you do? What organisations offer short courses that are genuinely worth doing, that would give my brother the underpinning knowledge to be able carry out calculations and understand all the underlying theory to stuff he just picked on the job because that was the way it was done?
And Cotty, what course did you get stung with, if you dont mind opening an old wound, it might be helpful if I can tell what to steer clear of - literally anything with domestic installer in the title?

Well back then it was 2381, 2391, and a domestic installers qualification, pretty much the same as now I suppose. I was in my mid twenties and very determined to get on. I always thought of it as a 1st step and have never stopped learning since.

Well back then it was 2381, 2391, and a domestic installers qualification, pretty much the same as now I suppose. I was in my mid twenties and very determined to get on. I always thought of it as a 1st step and have never stopped learning since.

Shame you didn't learn tact!:-------:

So a quick look on City & Guilds site about 2382 says it is 30 guided learning hours, doesnt seem like a lot? It also says this:
About this level

This level will suit you if you're a practising electrician with specific qualifications, who needs to update your certification to meet the latest edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations. Alternatively, your'e a newly qualified electrician who needs to gain this certificate.

So, if you're a newly qualified electrician, what course do you do to become qualified? The city & guilds site also mentions progressing to NVQ level 2 & 3 on the pages for some of their other courses (2330)? Are the NVQ qualifications not required? It is very confusing to ascertain exactly what quals are actually required!
Look at the NIC site, if you meet their minimum requirements, which are a joke if I'm honest, you're in. No one fails.

So is this's post about becoming a self employed electrician or self employed domestic installer.hope people aren't getting confused ?

So is this's post about becoming a self employed electrician or self employed domestic installer.hope people aren't getting confused ?
OK i`l say it again:

this is just a made up name...courtesy of the scams...theres no substance to it whatsoever...so can we once and for all drop this fake term for someone who isn`t competant.

Reply to Which qualifications to be self employed electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net