Currently reading:
Wiring of electric Hob and Oven as part of house rewire

Discuss Wiring of electric Hob and Oven as part of house rewire in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Wunga

Hello folks.

I have had a complete house rewire last month and all 17th edition certified.

The electrician also wired up the new oven and hob.

My question is this: When I switch on the hob at the wall socket, it also seems to bring power to the oven as the timer starts to flash which is quite annoying.

I checked behind the oven and it appears both the hob and oven are wired into the CCU, therefore this would appear to explain why the power supply to both oven and hob are controlled by the 1 switch above the worktop.

Is this the correct wiring procedure, and if not, am I within my rights to recall the electrician to rectify it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers

Why do you switch the hob off?

What are the ratings of the oven? and hob?

What size is the cable?

What is the MCB protecting the circuit?

This could all be good and dandy.

Why do you switch the hob off?

What are the ratings of the oven? and hob?

What size is the cable?

What is the MCB protecting the circuit?

This could all be good and dandy.

Hi thanks for getting back, ratings are:

Hob - 6.6KW
Oven - 2.9KW
Cable - 6mm
MCB - 40A

Photo of hob/oven wiring into CCU attached.

Basically, my query is, should the oven and hob both be wired up to the same CCU?

Cheers again 20160526_171442_resized.jpg

Is that connection outlet fixed to anything ?

Yes, the oven and hob are both fed into it...

I have isolated everything and opened it up to have a look inside as there was something rattling.
See attached photo which clearly indicated that this unit was not designed for 2 feeds (the casing has had to be chipped to allow space for 2 cables and the cable clamp was not fitted due to the size of 2 cables)
This was all done about 2 weeks ago and the only reason I moved the oven out it's housing unit was because I still need to slot in it's MDF base board.

I'm quite disappointed at the shoddy workmanship, but more important, is it safe/legal?
As I have the certification paperwork, could I (or do I need to) inform the Local Authority to check it out? (in Scotland)

Cheers20160526_175843_resized.jpg

Is it safe/legal?

Cheers

The cables are not sufficiently clamped, any cable movement could be transfered to the termination screws.
The backbox should be securely fastened and not loose.

As for the circuit, without knowing the installation methods then I cannot comment further but if clipped direct on a short run then the circuit is safe regarding load, mcb and cable rating.

Is that connection outlet fixed to anything ?

No, it is not fixed to anything, just slung behind the oven within the base unit.I expected a bit better for a new rewire.

Is this slung oven cable (under the worktop) acceptable within regs, or should it have been fixed/embedded into the wall?

Cheers

No, it is not fixed to anything, just slung behind the oven within the base unit.I expected a bit better for a new rewire.

Is this slung oven cable (under the worktop) acceptable within regs, or should it have been fixed/embedded into the wall?

Cheers

I think you need to email the sparky who did the work and outline your "concerns" please don't mention this forum!

I think you need to email the sparky who did the work and outline your "concerns" please don't mention this forum!
Thanks, and I appreciate your feedback, but given the electrical knowledge on here, in your professional opinion, are my "concerns" legit, or do you think I'm just being a tad fussy?

Cheers

Cheers

Loose cables under the units behind the kick board are not against the reg's as such but would be classed as poor workmanship, I would have at least expected the supply cable to be clipped to the skirting board if it needed to be run around the back of the units, the tails to the oven and hob are normally loose to allow the units to be easily removed.
You can complain about the loose backbox and the lack of suitable cable clamp where the cables enter the cooker/oven/hob outlet, the supply cable has no support as it terminates into the box and the outgoing cables don't fit in the provided clamp, you can also mention if the supply cable is loose under the units that you consider this poor and not what you expected from a brand new rewire.

Last edited:
should have had a dual CCU fitted on a metal backbox, securely fixed in the wall.

Reply to Wiring of electric Hob and Oven as part of house rewire in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back