JIB Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) Applying for an ECS Gold card with the following:

Discuss Applying for an ECS Gold card with the following: in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have completed the following qualifications gained from a 3 year level 3 advanced apprenticeship:

- EAL NVQ Diploma Level 2 Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (foundation competence)

- EAL NVQ Diploma Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Engineering: Mechatronics Maintenance Technician Standard (603/3845/3)

- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering

- City & Guilds 2382: 18th Edition Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671

- City & Guilds 2391-52: Initial and Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations

- IOSH Working Safely

- IPAF 3a/3b

- EngTech TMIET status

Would these be acceptable for me to apply for an ECS Gold Card?

Also would these qualifications alongside 4+ years experience installing, wiring and carrying out electrical inspection and testing on industrial machinery be enough to become an approved electrician for NICEIC/NAPIT?

If not, what would I be missing and need to complete?

Thanks in advance

On the basis of your qualies I would give you a gold card but I suspect that they will want the AM2. Core requirements you seem to have. Of course the easiest way to find out is to ask them!

Unless you have one the referenced NVQ level 3 quals on the ecs website with am2 you wont get the jib ecs gold card.
Likwise even with all your qualifications unless it meets the now very defined list of craft qualifications you cant join the NICEIC etc..
Its a slow process to clamp down on short course routes etc.. a good thing long term but does catch out people like yourself.

Although very good quality qualifications I suspect you will not get a gold card without AM2 and NVQ level 3....sorry i forget the name/course im too old lol. Most of your qualifications are not in the remit for an electrical installation electrician. BUT the JIB do a broad range of cards in many disciplines and I think personally you would get a gold card in another field with those qualifications. Best to check out their new website and see which cards suit your qualifications.

I think the OP could well get a Gold Card as a Maintenance Electrician with the qualifications he's listed. There is no mention of the need for AM2 but you do need there H&S assessment.

The fact you are Eng Tech is a huge help. There are alternative routes to a gold card and I have written endorsement letters for people to qualify them for a gold card and with Eng Tech you could go for a Technician gold card.

Reply to Applying for an ECS Gold card with the following: in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net