Discuss Bad electrician? Advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I agree with des It could have happened over time the question why
would he play with the RCD only to test the circuits and test the RCD to make sure that it trips off a given time .

Last edited:
QUOTE - [ the test and inspection is a report on the condition of an installation,it does not,and cannot guarantee the whole of that installation is safe,that is down to who installed the system in the first place.It can indicate the presence and correct operation of safety features that are there to protect against fire and shock ]

quite true !

But the average Tom Dick or Harry don't think this at all !
They assume if it passes, then everything is %100 and they will have no problems for evermore !

Don't laugh !
You know it's true !

If I had a pound for every MCB I'd seen that had missed a bus bar when working in CUs I'd have enough for a good meal out. As said earlier it takes two minutes to have a look and check tightness but, evidently, it doesn't always happen.

Recently I was working on a multi million pound house in Beaconsfield with four CUs off a three phase supply and a lighting board that was a joy to behold. The competence and attention to detail of the company that did this could not have been questioned it was a beautiful job. However when removing the main earth from the MET for Ze the other end came clean out of the cut out.

So the entire property had been tested and signed off with parallel paths removed or not yet connected from the MET and and no doubt passed all tests yet the main rathe had never been tightened into the DMO head.

Even the best make mistakes or don't pick up existing faults so it's difficult to write someone off on the basis of one incident.

I must say it is possible that the person did leave a screw loose. Sadly it is very easily done. While I know it should not be! Frankly if it were me and you contacted me I would feel it was my fault as when doing an EICR you have to tick "all terminations are tight at CU" meaning you have checked them. Had you contacted me I would have come straight around and held my hand up and repaired it with profuse apologies. Regretfully I have to say this does and has happened and I have seen good electricians do it and had to come behind them and rectify it. I have not done it so far but because I know stupid mistakes are possible I have an idiot check system in place where I go around and check everything. But I have to say I have made (none fatal!) mistakes over time which makes me double check.
agreed. . . honesty is best policy. show me a man who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you a liar !

During an EICR, would you actually loosen and reconnect between the RCD and the bus bar? I'm not sure if the OP's concern is that the fault was missed, or whether it might have been caused by the electrician.

Reply to Bad electrician? Advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net