Discuss Bare mains cable - No sheath in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

i take it des, that you're not a fan of the right to buy, introduced by our fair lady margaret. bear in mind though, that although selling the housing stock might appear to some to reduce available rented accommodation, for every council house that is slod to the tenant, that's 1 house less of course, but it's also 1 family less on the rental marlet. so swings and roundabouts. 1 less house = 1 less renting family. balance maintained.

From your description of events it looks to me as though the electrician has come out and sorted the shower issue. Then he has been called back to sort out a completely different issue.

This second issue has nothing to do with the first issue.

I'm not sure why you would mention it unless you thought they where connected in some way.

You say the rewire occurred several years ago and the chrome sockets where fitted then. I cannot understand why it's taken this long for the electrics to trip if the neutral has been in contact with the screw all this time.

Have the sockets been removed or undone at any time since the rewire?

From your description of events it looks to me as though the electrician has come out and sorted the shower issue. Then he has been called back to sort out a completely different issue.

This second issue has nothing to do with the first issue.

I'm not sure why you would mention it unless you thought they where connected in some way.

You say the rewire occurred several years ago and the chrome sockets where fitted then. I cannot understand why it's taken this long for the electrics to trip if the neutral has been in contact with the screw all this time.

Have the sockets been removed or undone at any time since the rewire?

I talked about the shower to explain that it was the same guy that insinuated that the previous week he came, all the sockets were not the chrome sockets and that they were the standard fitted white sockets, I was having more of a rant at the time, just because the fact is that the sockets have always been the chrome finish fitted sockets.

The sockets have never been unscrewed since the rewire, but the socket has always been very very slightly wobbly when unplugging/plugging something in, all I can think of is that the wobbly socket has caused the wire to move ever so slightly over time and eventually it has come into contact with the screw or backbox again...

I am not expert so I would not know, all I know is that I plugged the hoover in, and it went pop, big spark and the power went off... Electrician comes out, removes the face place, pushes the wire, puts it back on and off he goes.... The back boxes are metal....so my concern is that over time again with slight movements, it may short again...

I have an private electrician coming next week, not to do with the council to do some maintenance on our alarm system, I am going to get a second opinion from him on this one I think.

Ta :)

It is quite common, for such a fault not to trip the RCD, but will trip when a load is applied (by plugging in an appliance).

The original electrician, could of done a very professional job of installing your chrome sockets, it is all too easy 'pinch' a cable behind a faceplate (especially a single socket), and only presents as a fault, after several years plugging & in-plugging an appliance.

Some metal accessories (slimline fronts), require a deeper back box, i.e. 35mm instead of 25mm. 25mm back boxes were pretty standard fare a few years ago, less effort to recess.

You could ask a new electrician to unscrew all these chrome sockets, to check them. Unfortunately, when screwing them back, he/she might create a fault that previously wasn't there, and replacing the chrome sockets to white plastic one's, is going to prevent that.

As others have said, fault's been fixed.

Reply to Bare mains cable - No sheath in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net