Discuss Bypass Motion Sensor - Add Switch to Lights? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking to add motion sensors to 2 or 3 floodlights. I want to be able to use a switch to bypass the sensors and leave the lights on. (Please note that I'm not interested in the ON-OFF-ON type of action.)

As the attached diagram shows, I believe I'll have to run a black wire directly from the outlet (source) to the sensors' live terminals (to always keep them powered), and then a separate black wire from the switch to the floodlights themselves. (I left out ground to keep things simple.) Could you please let me know if this will work?

My concern is that there will be 2 live wires connected to the floodlights (black from the switch, red from the sensor). I don't know if this "double charging" the light is bad, and also how it would affect the sensor's SL terminal. Thanks for the help.Bypass Motion Sensor - Add Switch to Lights? Diagram2 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
In principle what you are proposing should work. The way they are wired also means any PIR sensor acting will turn on all of the lights, is that what you want?

Finally you should have some means of switching them off/isolating them and having them protected from overload relative to the current rating of the wire/switches.

If your diagram of a outlet socket implies you are powering via a plug inserted in it then you have a means of isolation at least, but if you intend wiring it in to a socket circuit then it should be via a switch to allow isolation.

Here in the UK we might use a "Fused Connection Unit" (FCU) for that so we could have something like a 3A or 5A fuse to provide more appropriate protection for a handful of lights, but I don't know how you would normally do that in the USA.

In principle what you are proposing should work. The way they are wired also means any PIR sensor acting will turn on all of the lights, is that what you want?

Finally you should have some means of switching them off/isolating them and having them protected from overload relative to the current rating of the wire/switches.

If your diagram of a outlet socket implies you are powering via a plug inserted in it then you have a means of isolation at least, but if you intend wiring it in to a socket circuit then it should be via a switch to allow isolation.

Here in the UK we might use a "Fused Connection Unit" (FCU) for that so we could have something like a 3A or 5A fuse to provide more appropriate protection for a handful of lights, but I don't know how you would normally do that in the USA.

Hi, thank you for the reply! I actually didn't realize that activating one sensor would automatically trigger the other. I would actually like that feature. :) So is there any potential for the floodlight to backfeed the sensor (with the light switch on)? I imagine something catching fire if that happened. Similarly I realized there'd be current coming down from the lights (L) back to the light switch. What would happen then?

as you have drawn it, it is fine. in this country we would use a Fused connection unit to supply the installation of the sensors and lights, fused according to the size of cable used ( generally 5A).

Reply to Bypass Motion Sensor - Add Switch to Lights? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock