Discuss Central heating pump on continuous in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I have just had my boiler replaced which was a potterton suprima 60l. Heat only boiler as it kept cutting out.
I have had a vailent ecofit 425 fitted by engineer but now my pump is running continuously.
This wasn't the case before.
It's s plan with two heating 2 port valves and 1 hot water two port valve.
I have two stats and they are both 3 core.
The boiler as far as I can tell has live neutral and earth the a second cable linked with live which. I think goes to the pump and another in rt.
I have checked boiler setting and they Re set too intermittent with 5 min over run.
The fitter says he doesn't know and has asked vailant to attend at my cost.
Help appreciated. I am an electrician but my heating side is limited.
Ideas most welcome.

Thanks

Is the boiler firing without being called to?
It sounds like he has left the link in on the 24v RT which is a common mistake.

Hi thanks for reply.

The link has been removed and the heating is working on programmer as you would expect.
The pump is even on if I disconnect the programmer because the L and RT cable in the boiler are fed to connectors behind programmer no to the programmer itself.

Attachments

• Central heating pump on continuous 16107446500263795102731087085778 - EletriciansForums.net
    16107446500263795102731087085778.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 58
Hi thanks for reply.

The link has been removed and the heating is working on programmer as you would expect.
The pump is even on if I disconnect the programmer because the L and RT cable in the boiler are fed to connectors behind programmer no to the programmer itself.

Attachments

• Central heating pump on continuous 16107448484653869851361522065316 - EletriciansForums.net
    16107448484653869851361522065316.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Central heating pump on continuous 16107449191296734246929564605525 - EletriciansForums.net
    16107449191296734246929564605525.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 52
If, as you say, the second cable in the live terminal goes to the pump, then of course the pump will run continuously.

If, as you say, the second cable in the live terminal goes to the pump, then of course the pump will run continuously.
So how do I rectify as heating engineer doesn't know. The only boiler connections are live neutral earth and RT.
What is different between this boiler and old boiler. I never saw the connections on the old potterton. Would it of has a pump feed on it?

You'll have to work through the wiring Edward, trace it and make a drawing. Does the extra cable go to the pump or not? it should be easy to prove one way or another. Does it go to the room stat? if not where is the room stat cable? where's the junction box? You need to find all these things before you can find the problem.
If you do a simple schematic drawing of where all the conductors go, you'll be able to sort this.

So how do I rectify as heating engineer doesn't know. The only boiler connections are live neutral earth and RT.
What is different between this boiler and old boiler. I never saw the connections on the old potterton. Would it of has a pump feed on it?
really! The heating engineer doesn’t know.
he shouldn’t be a heating engineer then.

The Pump needs to be wired into the switched live and come on when heat is called for. Possibly there is somewhere in the boiler for a separate connection to allow over run, but impossible to diagnose from afar.

really! The heating engineer doesn’t know.
he shouldn’t be a heating engineer then.

The Pump needs to be wired into the switched live and come on when heat is called for. Possibly there is somewhere in the boiler for a separate connection to allow over run, but impossible to diagnose from afar.
Thanks for reply.
I think it needs a spdt timer relay fitting to control the pump unless the new boiler can be retrofitted.

123 did well to spot that, I couldn't see it, even after he said it was there. I do now.
What I would say is be carefull. The blue has some black tape on it so I doubt that it's a neutral.
My guess, and it's just a guess, it will need to be proved. Is that the extra cable is the switched feed for the heating and the pump live feed from the connections that 123 identified.

Going back to your original post. valiant are coming out at your cost.
seriously that engineer needs to pay for this not you. He should know better than us sparkies.

try the plumbing forum. They will slate the engineer for not knowing.

someone on here should give you a link to them.

Going back to your original post. valiant are coming out at your cost.
seriously that engineer needs to pay for this not you. He should know better than us sparkies.

try the plumbing forum. They will slate the engineer for not knowing.

someone on here should give you a link to them.
I agree, I'd get in touch and cancel, it can't be much.
You said that you think the extra brown is to the pump, then take it out of the live terminal and put it into the pump live, that will probally sort it.

Reply to Central heating pump on continuous in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock