Discuss Central heating pump on continuous in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think you ought to go through the whole of the wiring if it has been done by the heating "engineer".
There are apparently three two port valves in this system.
Each valve normally has a grey wire and an orange wire connected to a built in microswitch.
All three greys are connected together and are connected to permanent live.
All three orange wires are also connected together and go to the boiler switched live terminal.
A permanent live, from the same source as the grey wires are connected to, goes to the permanent live terminal of the boiler.
A neutral also goes to the boiler as well, of course.
The pump should connected, live and neutral, to the appropriate terminals in the boiler.
So, there should be a four core flex going to the boiler from the wiring box that the valves are connected to, and a three core flex coming from the boiler to the pump.

I think you ought to go through the whole of the wiring if it has been done by the heating "engineer".
There are apparently three two port valves in this system.
Each valve normally has a grey wire and an orange wire connected to a built in microswitch.
All three greys are connected together and are connected to permanent live.
All three orange wires are also connected together and go to the boiler switched live terminal.
A permanent live, from the same source as the grey wires are connected to, goes to the permanent live terminal of the boiler.
A neutral also goes to the boiler as well, of course.
The pump should connected, live and neutral, to the appropriate terminals in the boiler.
So, there should be a four core flex going to the boiler from the wiring box that the valves are connected to, and a three core flex coming from the boiler to the pump.
This is all correct Brian. However as it was just a boiler swap I'm guessing no other cables were touched, just the ones in the boiler. If this is true then the four conductors will be live, neutral, heat demand and pump live out.
That shouldn't be too hard to work out, and as he says the pump is on permantly that points to the extra brown being the pump and the blue with black tape being the switch feed to the boiler.

Going back to your original post. valiant are coming out at your cost.
seriously that engineer needs to pay for this not you. He should know better than us sparkies.

try the plumbing forum. They will slate the engineer for not knowing.

someone on here should give you a link to them.
Vaillant won't fix the issue either, it's nothing to do with the boiler.

Gas installers understanding heating wiring and controls? I wouldn't let most of them loose to connect a plug top.
I'd be concerned what else the boiler installer has done as the wago's in 1st pic look like they have just been installed as well.

That shouldn't be too hard to work out, and as he says the pump is on permantly that points to the extra brown being the pump and the blue with black tape being the switch feed to the boiler.
The one's in the roomstat termination?

TBH I'd rip the lot out and start again.

If I understand you, no, the one in the roomstst terminal is probally correct, the one in the live is probally for the boiler terminal.
Looking at the flex I would have said both go to the roomstat but as the pump's running on who knows what's going on with the wiring...

Looking at the flex I would have said both go to the roomstat but as the pump's running on who knows what's going on with the wiring...
I doubt both go to the roomstat Strima, what would open the valve. Looks like the cable goes to the heating joint box where one is the return from the roomstat and the other goes to the pump. In fact if this was a straught swap with no messing with the wiring, that has to be the case.

I doubt both go to the roomstat Strima, what would open the valve. Looks like the cable goes to the heating joint box where one is the return from the roomstat and the other goes to the pump. In fact if this was a straught swap with no messing with the wiring, that has to be the case.
Quite possibly, but without looking we'll never know... ?

By moving the the doubled up live to x14 the pump started operating normally. The RT does go to the room stat. As chased it through.
So thanks andyb you are correct.
The installer just missed the x14 because he usually installs worcester but couldn't get one in time.
Thanks for all replies and help.

The installer was not correctly qualified/competent, you should get them back to move the doubled live to x14 to ensure you are covered by their insurance.

Should be a 4C flex into the boiler and a 3C out of it to the pump from X14. As it is, it looks like the neutral to the pump could be disconnected during maintenance, leaving a live connected to it, which could be dangerous.

Should be a 4C flex into the boiler and a 3C out of it to the pump from X14. As it is, it looks like the neutral to the pump could be disconnected during maintenance, leaving a live connected to it, which could be dangerous.
Brian, I think you're missing the fact the flexes obviously go back to a joint box of some sort as the boiler call signal and pump live are in the same flex.

Brian, I think you're missing the fact the flexes obviously go back to a joint box of some sort as the boiler call signal and pump live are in the same flex.
Timbo you are correct in the joint box( wiring centre) and the neutral and linked live feed will go to pump from there, but there really needs to be more conductirs in that boiler.

the pump terminations require live neutral and earth.
Just popping the pumps live Feed in the Termination strip Isn’t good enough.
All 3 terminations need filling. You can then take the fed direct to the pump or back via the wiring centre.

it may be that a link has been taken between both neutral and earth terminals, this if fine but I frown on it.

I know it would work functionally, but if your going to do a job do it right.

Reply to Central heating pump on continuous in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock