Currently reading:
Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse

Discuss Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

justjust1

Hi all,

I am just finishing my Level 3 City and Guilds level 3.

I am going to replace an old re-wire-able fuse type CCU with a dual RCD CCU. When replacing a CCU in the past i have just removed the main head fuse to disconnect the supply going to the CCU.

But someone at my collage has mentioned that you are supposed to contact the supplier and they will send someone out to do it? This seems a bit pointless as they will then have to re-connect after i have finished?

Can someone clarify?

Also if i can just remove the main head fuse, where would i get the wire which goes in to stop people removing the fuse? And what is it called?

Thanks

Justjust1

I don't think thats explained well at all in our training. We are just told 10ma 30ma 100ma rcd's what disconnection time etc. You only really pick stuff up like that if you get into your text books like scaddens.

Exactly my collage trained me that it has to disconnect within a certain time (ms) depending on the rating of the RCD and the type of supply this is done via the 1/2 1 and 5x RCD test on the tester!

As far as signing the certificate i am waiting for my friend who is Part P to come and test and Inspect both of them and check my results. He is also my duty holder and it will count towards my NVQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly my collage trained me that it has to disconnect within a certain time (ms) depending on the rating of the RCD and the type of supply this is done via the 1/2 1 and 5x RCD test on the tester!

Question everything, sound like that annoying child and keep asking 'why'. I was told why the disconnection times are what they are and the level of current etc during my training, but I guess that the level of information given varies from teacher to teacher. If someone makes a statement during your training get them to clarify themselves and dont just accept what they say 'carte blanche'.

Yes, i guess i understand what the results should be to conform to the reg's but why could be a whole new subject.
As far as part P goes, i do not need to do the course NICEIC will come out and inspect two of my installs then register me on the part P scheme as i have done my 17th edition as part of my L2 and 3 city and guilds collage course!

JustJust,

Firstly, my post wasn't meant to be harsh - neither was it meant to 'mock you', as 'Electricalserv' was trying to make out.

I was merely pointing out a couple of things that I picked out from your posts.

You haven't answered my question about any further training, so I will assume you are level 2 qualified, with the 17th edition, and that's it.

I went the same route as you, so I know the level that you are at.

It is good to ask questions and learn, but I feel you are running before you can walk.

You have done work, i.e. CU changes, which could be deemed as 'major' jobs (domestically) - most trainees would start with some additional sockets etc.

You say your friend will inspect/test these CU at some point in the future - truth is, they should have been inspected/tested and certified before re-energising and putting back into service.

The other worrying thing is that you are looking for ways around getting the DNO to isolate the supply and you have already admitted to working in a 'live' CU and getting a 'shock' - most trainees will try to follow the rules - at least for a little while.
What other corners might you be prerpared to cut??

Although it's good to ask questions and learn - that's easy to do when you realise that you don't know something - but what about stuff you don't realise you don't know.....how will you know to ask?.....you'll just carry on regardless.

I don't know - maybe I'm wrong, but you just seemed a bit lacking in the basics and procedures for the work that you have undertaken..........no disrespect meant.:)

JustJust,

Firstly, my post wasn't meant to be harsh - neither was it meant to 'mock you', as 'Electricalserv' was trying to make out.

I was merely pointing out a couple of things that I picked out from your posts.

You haven't answered my question about any further training, so I will assume you are level 2 qualified, with the 17th edition, and that's it.

I went the same route as you, so I know the level that you are at.

It is good to ask questions and learn, but I feel you are running before you can walk.

You have done work, i.e. CU changes, which could be deemed as 'major' jobs (domestically) - most trainees would start with some additional sockets etc.

You say your friend will inspect/test these CU at some point in the future - truth is, they should have been inspected/tested and certified before re-energising and putting back into service.

T

No no, i totaly agree with you i am probably not up to your standered of work yet, but i have been doing electrical work for the past 5-6 years (without qualifications). It is only recently the past year that i have stopped and gone to collage to get the qualls and the theory behind it. As far as my qualifications go i have passed 2230 L2, 17th Edition 2382, Test and Inspect 2392 and have passed all my Level 3 2330 apart from my 2 practicals which i am doing on Monday. Then my plan is to seek a job working for someone for 1-2 years to get the experience whilst getting my 2356 NVQ and possibly doing my 2391.

Yes i realize that i should have got him to inspect them as soon as i had finished, but he let me down on both occasions! It will be done by Friday! Then NICEIC will inspect too! (hopefully)

Quote"The other worrying thing is that you are looking for ways around getting the DNO to isolate the supply and you have already admitted to working in a 'live' CU and getting a 'shock' - most trainees will try to follow the rules - at least for a little while.
What other corners might you be prerpared to cut??

No corners ever cut when i do a job, however i do have a major gripe about the DNO fuse!

Yes i got a shock because i was naive, trust me, it wont happen again!

I appreciate your feedback!

it WILL happen again. trust me. even the most experienced of us make the odd slip-up now and again. shows the importance of thinking before acting.

Another thought, JustJust

It might be an idea to get the DNO to fit an isolator if you are going to use the job/s for your NICEIC assessment - they might pick up on it and ask how you isolated it to do the swap.

I used a CU swap in my house for my assessment and got 'United Utilities' out first - I think they charged me £42.00 - they upgraded the tails, fitted a digital meter and an isolator - so I couldn't grumble.

I've just got a CU swap in on Friday - I told the customer they'd have to ring the 'supplier' for an isolator to be fitted and they had no problem - saves messing about.

Yeah, was thinking about if they would ask how it has been isolated!

Also was thinking about getting future customers to call supplier and fit a isolator!

Just one more question if the cables in the existing CU arnt long enough to go into the new CU-MCBs/MCBOs what would you use to extend them.

Was thinking junction box outside the CU to extend, instead of extending inside CU. Have not looked @ regs yet. Just wondering what you would do?

you would extend using henley blocks. these can then be replaced with an isolator. sweet.

Sorry i have not explained that well.

I am talking about outgoing Circuits not incoming supply. IE new CU is larger than old one and the downstairs lighting circuit will not stretch to the 6amp MCB position or if it does its untidy. What would you use to extend the cable?

oh, got you. if the existing cable/s will reach inside the CU, then extend using insulated crimps ( red for 1.5mm ) and a ratchet crimper. as they are inside the CU no need for additional insulation.

eggsackly them. the pic shows red for 1.5mm, blue for 2.5mm and yellow for 4mm & 6mm cables. the ratchet crimpersd have colour coded jaws for each. crimpers from any wholesaler around £15.

... The other worrying thing is that you are looking for ways around getting the DNO to isolate the supply and you have already admitted to working in a 'live' CU and getting a 'shock' - most trainees will try to follow the rules - at least for a little while.
What other corners might you be prerpared to cut?? ...

It wasn't clear that OP said he was working on live circuit but it only takes a moment of carelessness or lack of concentration for a sparky to get a shock, regardless how experienced he was.

check this out -> http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...lways-always-test-make-sure-circuit-dead.html

I'd say it would have an effect. If that was the case and you used a red crimp for a neutral I'd at least tape over it in blue tape.

i wouldn't tape over a crimp. pointless and IMO a backward step. you'd be joining 2 blue cables ( or black if it's wired in the sensible colours ) and it is obvious to anybody that it's a neutral cable.

Sounds like you have a business idea for Dragons Den, get yourself signed up.
yeah, then the eurinal union will change the cable colours again , probably to match the surrender monkeys' national flag. ( is that red white and blue, or is it a white cross on a white background? )

Here's a question

oh, got you. if the existing cable/s will reach inside the CU, then extend using insulated crimps ( red for 1.5mm ) and a ratchet crimper. as they are inside the CU no need for additional insulation.

What if the cables do not reach into the C/U?? What's the best way to do that?
I've just completed my level two 2330 and this forum is great for learning!!

P.s I am the annoying kid that has to ask 'why' and 'what If'

Reply to Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock