Discuss Renault twizy main headlights not working in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
hoping someone might be able to help a little, we got our daughter a renault twizy, but the headlights do not work. The side lights work, the main beam works, just not dipped main beam.

we:
  • changed bulbs
  • checked the fuses (all good)
  • checked the 1 relay (all good)
  • checked wiring continuity from fuse to lamp holder (all good)
  • checked power at fuse with lights turned on - NO POWER
  • i used a wire to jump from a circuit we knew worked to the fuse with no power - the main lights come on (so they work)
  • we removed the light stalk/switch and checked wiring continuity from the harness to the fuse - all good
  • from the wiring block on the back of the stalk I was able to determine the permanent live and switched live and the wire to the lights, using a piece of wire i jumped from live to the lights, they work and come on - so wiring from the stalk all good
  • before all this i had bought a new stalk, which i have installed - still no main lights

so, i can get the lights on, jumping the switched live on the stalk wiring block to the lights - so the wires from that block to the fuse then to the lights all work as the lights come on, but, with the stalk attached it is necessary to have the ignition switched on, and then the lights do not work, no power to the fuse (despite old and new stalk assemblies).

So, I am thinking there is something wrong on the ignition side of things? there must be some wire from ignition to the stalk wiring block, even though I found the switched live in this block which has power, there must be some other wire that then gives that power just to the main lights, but i have no clue :-(

I am new to all this, neither a mechanic nor electrician but hate being beaten. does anyone have any thoughts? in the stalk wiring block there are a bunch of thicker wires (red, perm live), (yellow - switched live), (a few white ones, horn, indicators, main beam, side lights and main lights), there are then 4 thinner wires, one thin black which I think is some earth/neutral, then 3 other thin wires (4 in total), does one of these control power switching from the ignition?

Thanks for any ideas/light (no pun intended)

Darren

Reply to Renault twizy main headlights not working in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net