Currently reading:
Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse

Discuss Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

justjust1

Hi all,

I am just finishing my Level 3 City and Guilds level 3.

I am going to replace an old re-wire-able fuse type CCU with a dual RCD CCU. When replacing a CCU in the past i have just removed the main head fuse to disconnect the supply going to the CCU.

But someone at my collage has mentioned that you are supposed to contact the supplier and they will send someone out to do it? This seems a bit pointless as they will then have to re-connect after i have finished?

Can someone clarify?

Also if i can just remove the main head fuse, where would i get the wire which goes in to stop people removing the fuse? And what is it called?

Thanks

Justjust1

Here's a question

What if the cables do not reach into the C/U?? What's the best way to do that?
I've just completed my level two 2330 and this forum is great for learning!!

P.s I am the annoying kid that has to ask 'why' and 'what If'

Crimp and put into the wall/ceiling etc?

Keep asking... but before you say 'why' read up in the BRB about joining wires that are not accessible to inspection and the methods available ;)

Keep asking... but before you say 'why' read up in the BRB about joining wires that are not accessible to inspection and the methods available ;)[/QUOTE]

Without sounding like a complete idiot what is the BRB?

Hi all,

just a bit of an update! i was a bit miffed about people saying Electricians were not allowed to remove the main fuse. So to clarify i sent a mail to my electricity suppler to find out what there response would be. Here is what they said:

Thank you for your e-mail.

"We do authorise registered electricians to break the seals on the main fuse in order to remove the fuse to isolate the supply. IF you are NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA or SELECT registered, you will need to contact the local depot at Slough on 01753 695600. They will give you further information, and make arrangements for you to pick up some temporary seals from there"

Kind regards

ETB Dept
SSE

It would appear that all is good! (If your with Southern Electric):punk:

That is fine then as long as you get the response in writing, you need to understand though that this goes against the DNO collective response given to this issue last year.
This is a very "local" thing, you may find that other SSE areas will not allow this.
The last thing you need to remember that you still need to comply with other statutory legislation when you are doing this work.
If you don't then you are still liable, you lucky so and so!!! ;)

Reply to Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock