Discuss Cord size for generator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting to the correct spot. I have a portable generator, Westinghouse WGen7500 (running) that I plug into the side of the house with a 4 prong plug. It's got its own panel inside the house so it's all wired to code.

It used to sit by where I plug it in but that's visible on a sort of busy street and someone tried to walk off with the generator. So now we are putting it behind the house and securing it. I need a 75' cord. When I look online the cord is almost the same cost as the generator was 3 years ago! I'm not sure what size I need cord-wise. The one I have now is a 10. The Generator manual says I need a 6. My handy guy says I can use an 8.

I have no idea if you need any other info. I only have 100 amp service at my house. The generator runs: water pump, water pressure tank, 2 small refrigerators, my heat (forced air by gas), and a light and outlet in 4 rooms. My house is tiny well under 1000 sq ft.

Thanks,

Susan

I hope I'm posting to the correct spot. I have a portable generator, Westinghouse WGen7500 (running) that I plug into the side of the house with a 4 prong plug. It's got its own panel inside the house so it's all wired to code.

It used to sit by where I plug it in but that's visible on a sort of busy street and someone tried to walk off with the generator. So now we are putting it behind the house and securing it. I need a 75' cord. When I look online the cord is almost the same cost as the generator was 3 years ago! I'm not sure what size I need cord-wise. The one I have now is a 10. The Generator manual says I need a 6. My handy guy says I can use an 8.

I have no idea if you need any other info. I only have 100 amp service at my house. The generator runs: water pump, water pressure tank, 2 small refrigerators, my heat (forced air by gas), and a light and outlet in 4 rooms. My house is tiny well under 1000 sq ft.

Thanks,

Susan

Didn't you already ask this on here? I'm sure Megawatt gave you an answer?

Cord size for generator megawatt - EletriciansForums.netDidn't you already ask this on here? I'm sure Megawatt gave you an answer?
Actually, I just looked it up, no he didn't give me an answer, he said "depending on what wire size you need." That's the problem I don't know what wire size I need. The manual puts it at 6, my handy guy said 8. My friend who is a boat captain and has installed tons of generators on boats said I could probably use a 10. So that's the problem I don't know. And I don't really know who's advice to take.

Huh? Maybe I did. I'm getting old, I guess. I am doing a ton of prep for my daughter's wedding in a couple of weeks and we have a hurricane coming! I'm frazzled.

Ah fair enough. Hope the hurricane doesn't affect you too badly.

Ah fair enough. Hope the hurricane doesn't affect you too badly.
It's not until Monday morning so it has a chance to switch course a little. I hope so, fingers crossed. I don't need to get this squared away before then I can use the shorter 10 gauge cord I have now for next week but again then this generator sits in full view of the street! ;)

Actually, I just looked it up, no he didn't give me an answer, he said "depending on what wire size you need." That's the problem I don't know what wire size I need. The manual puts it at 6, my handy guy said 8. My friend who is a boat captain and has installed tons of generators on boats said I could probably use a 10. So that's the problem I don't know. And I don't really know who's advice to take.
I know that this is a late reply but # 8 is fine since your plug is rated at 50 amps

Reply to Cord size for generator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock