Discuss Extension cords and power strips. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

drumboog

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a hobbyist without formal training. I'm looking to power audio/video equipment over several hundred feet of extension cords. I have 2 speakers that draw around 1 amp each, and some video equipment that draws 3-4 amps. I'd like to run the equipment in the following configuration:

A 100' extension cord will be plugged into the outlet. It will accept a power strip that feeds the video equipment as well as 2 100-200' extension cords that run to each speaker.

To accommodate the long runs, all of the extension cords are 10 gauge. My questions are around the power strip. Is it a bad idea in this configuration? Power strips I've seen show acceptable amperages, but I'm not sure if attaching them to an extension cord affects the viability of them. Are there any specs that I should look for?

I've considered something like this instead of a power strip, but it would be less convenient, so I'm hoping a strip will be viable.

Thanks,
Glen

100’ / 30m is a long run to make a permanent solution, are you sure there’s no other way of doing it? But to answer your question, so long as they’re both heavy gauge enough then that should work fine.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
It will be for 1 time events, not a permanent solution.
I haven't seen power strips that list a gauge. Should I just look for a high amperage rating for it?

I calculate your 100ft 10 gauge extension lead would drop around 3V at full 15A load, so not a major issue

I'm in the UK, and interested why all the long (eg 50ft or 100ft) extension leads you can buy in the States seem limited to a max of three outlets in their "power strip". I haven't got to the bottom of whether it's part of the NEC, but I found this gem, which might be of interest. It's UL's view on the use of power strip extensions.

PS I'm not sure that putting an extension lead in the "relocatable power tap" category is actually correct, but hey...

I don't see why you shouldn't fit a multi-outlet power strip to a 100ft 10 gauge cable, as long as your load is under 15A, but slightly curious as to why I can't see any (that length) on the market with more than 3 outlets. Maybe the explanation is in the above, and UL won't approve them.

Regarding the last question, just check the amperage (15A)

Last edited:
Not familiar with american regs but in the UK the factor that limits the length of power cords is the resistance of the earth lead, over certain lengths not enough fault current can flow to blow the fuse protecting the cord.

Reply to Extension cords and power strips. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net