Discuss Feeding Power To Shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vonkster

DIY
Reaction score
Everyone,

I wanted to get some clarification on how to apply the following requirements from the NEC to the wiring of my shed. The shed is completely detached from my main home and has a burial cable running to it.

1: If a structure is completely detached from the main building and a panel is installed; it must be a main breaker panel (no sub panel) to shut off in the shed electricity if necessary.

2: At the point where power is supplied in the shed, a switch must be included to shut off power to the shed.

My question is simply this: It seems redundant to have both a switch and main breaker to shut off power to the shed. Can I just install - say a switch and use a sub panel and still meet code? Any ideas?

Extra Information: I am running a 100 amp service to my shed at 240V. The distance between my house and the shed is long; so, I used a 4/0 aluminum wire to supply the power. Originally, I was going to use a LB to feed a junction box inside the shed. This can reduce the wire size to something a 100 amp panel with a main breaker can accept. Will this still work even though the switch isn't right at where the power goes into the shed?

Finally - I would prefer the main breaker panel and/or switch to be inside the shed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Everyone,

I wanted to get some clarification on how to apply the following requirements from the NEC to the wiring of my shed. The shed is completely detached from my main home and has a burial cable running to it.

1: If a structure is completely detached from the main building and a panel is installed; it must be a main breaker panel (no sub panel) to shut off in the shed electricity if necessary.

2: At the point where power is supplied in the shed, a switch must be included to shut off power to the shed.

My question is simply this: It seems redundant to have both a switch and main breaker to shut off power to the shed. Can I just install - say a switch and use a sub panel and still meet code? Any ideas?

Extra Information: I am running a 100 amp service to my shed at 240V. The distance between my house and the shed is long; so, I used a 4/0 aluminum wire to supply the power. Originally, I was going to use a LB to feed a junction box inside the shed. This can reduce the wire size to something a 100 amp panel with a main breaker can accept. Will this still work even though the switch isn't right at where the power goes into the shed?

Finally - I would prefer the main breaker panel and/or switch to be inside the shed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you have a sub fed panel in your building it would be easier to install a main lug only panel and the breaker feeding it is required to be a GFCI breaker in your main panel. If you install a main breaker in your building panel you would have to purchase a tie down kit on the main breaker for the sub panel so it can’t be pulled out

Reply to Feeding Power To Shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net