Discuss Earthing and bonding new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys bit of advice needed to save me some time and money. Earthing and bonding required in new build property. 10mm earth to be ran to gas meter to clip to gas pipe that will enter property. This gas pipe then goes to a combi boiler where I will bond all pipes at combi to the gas pipe (gas, cold water, hot water, radiators in and out) (all copper)

But when it comes to earthing the water main I come unsure. The water main into property enters the building via the blue plastic pipe under kitchen sink but as mentioned the house is piped in copper. So my question is do I have to run 10mm earth to copper side of water stop cock all the way in the kitchen or will the bonding at the combi boiler be sufficient as the cold water pipe will be bonded to earth via the earthing of the gas pipe. Hope this makes sense :D
Thanks again in advance !

Why is there no need to bond anything at the boiler? Other issue is there is no MET yet as the elec supplies are yet to be installed to the property as building is still being built

Why is there no need to bond anything at the boiler? Other issue is there is no MET yet as the elec supplies are yet to be installed to the property as building is still being built
main bonding to gas and water suppliy pipework if required. that's all you need. long gone are the days when cross bonding @ boiler... hot - cold. metal windows. just thimnk at a bolier, all pipes are connected to each other through a metal manifold. why add additional bonding?

As already stated. If supply in plastic and the copper pipes are not classed as extraneous, then no need to bond. But as there is no MET to test from, it wouldn’t hurt to run in just in case. Little bit more time and materials but better to be safe than sorry.

No need to bond at the boiler unless the manifold is non-conductive?

Reply to Earthing and bonding new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock