Search the forum,

Discuss Electric Showers in France - are they allowed? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mr.Si

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

The topic heading asks it all really...

One for those experienced in things over on the other side of the English Channel...

I went to see my old boss yesterday to do some IT work for him. He's got a house in Saint-Suzanne France and now that he's finally got EDF to change him from a 3ph to a 1ph supply, he's asked if I'd do the wiring and then it can be inspected and tested by a French Registered Artisan.

Anyway, one of the things he's been trying to find out, is, can you use a normal electric shower in a house in France? or do you have to use normal showers with BOTH pipes?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Si

I got a feeling Si that France still have this tiered electrical capacity system. I think up to 32amps is the cheapest tier and then you pay a lot more if you want to exceed that, and so the 9kw+ Shower is not something you see a lot over there, well it wasn't

I've just looked in to this a bit more (hadn't really looked in to it at all to be honest).

It looks like in France, a single phase supply is quite a lot LESS than in the UK, with supplies being only around 36A (or 9kW).

So with that... well, a lot of electric showers will draw this amount, so no chance - it's just not the done thing.

I have my answer.

Have something similar in Cyprus, in the few cases where the property doesn't have solar heating panels, they use a 4.6KW electric showers. These units need quite a decent flow rate, but in my experience provide a pretty acceptable hot shower.... So it's probable they have something similar in France, though i couldn't say for sure!!!

iso now we know why the froggies are always munching garlic. it can overpower even the smelliest armpits.

Mr Si, are you completely sure on the figures quoted for the supplies in France?

Just curious as most places don't have mains gas, so electric heating is the norm. The house I had in Lyon in the mid-nineties had about 10 fitted convection heaters (at least 1kW each), as well as electric underfloor heating downstairs, immersion heaters etc. At full load (not unreasonable in mid-winter), we'd have been drawing 15kW, not including lighting and appliances.

Mind, I've only had new builds over there, so maybe older supplies are a bit different.

Spent quite a bit of time over there and not once seen an electric shower. They do seem to have a fair bit of unvented hot water, and all MCBs are double pole. All seems quite sensible to me (plus appliance plugs orientated so you can't tred on them which I think is a top idea!)

Mr Si, are you completely sure on the figures quoted for the supplies in France?

Just curious as most places don't have mains gas, so electric heating is the norm. The house I had in Lyon in the mid-nineties had about 10 fitted convection heaters (at least 1kW each), as well as electric underfloor heating downstairs, immersion heaters etc. At full load (not unreasonable in mid-winter), we'd have been drawing 15kW, not including lighting and appliances.

Mind, I've only had new builds over there, so maybe older supplies are a bit different.

Only from what I have read DNS1, but there seem to be a few places where similar figures are given.
My Ex-Bosses house was on 3ph, but there were a few out buildings with power run all over the place, so it was probably for workshops etc.

As yet, I don't know how it fully works, but he's got EDF changing his supply over to 1ph on Wednesday.
It's only taken him a couple of years to get them to do this...!

Reply to Electric Showers in France - are they allowed? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back