Discuss Energy monitoring/metering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Had a shock on our latest electricity bill. £153 for 1 month. Usually we pay around £100 for both gas and electric. Iv checked the usage and its correct, I guess the rate has gone up and we've used more than usual over Christmas.

So, I want more control over what we are using. I'm looking to put some monitoring in so I can view average consumption, instant monitoring etc. It would nice to see what's pulling alot of juice and also when we are using more energy.

Monitoring devices are very varied. Had anyone got any advice on specific products or systems that would be useful? Iv looked at a few on amazon, look decent and priced fairly but reviews have questioned accuracy which really makes me worried as they makes it useless.

On another note, if there isn't a section on the forum that's based around energy consumption/metering then it may be useful

Is that actual charges for the month or the amount the energy co has put the monthly payment up to?

There are things like the link below, but I think that one came up in a thread a while ago and has the problem that the clamp cables aren't suitably rated

I think most of us are going to get this shock and another one in a couple of months time.
If it's just you and a partner in the house, I think energy monitoring has limited value, but if there are kids around, especially teenagers, then some kind of monitor is essential.
I have an old 'Owl' display sitting right by the chair I'm sitting in now. Don't take a lot of notice of it now, but back when there were kids in the house it was invaluable, with them sneaking portable electric heaters into their rooms. I could call them out almost instantly

Is that actual charges for the month or the amount the energy co has put the monthly payment up to?

There are things like the link below, but I think that one came up in a thread a while ago and has the problem that the clamp cables aren't suitably rated

It's the total charge from Nov 30th to Jan 12th (including daily charge). Daily charge is 20p, electricity is 23p per unit.

It's me, the better half and our 2 young kids.

Tbh, I thought we were really savvy, all lights in the house are LED, we always keep lights turned off unless needed etc I think it's just the christmas period.

Looking at high loads, it can only be the electric oven and the conservatory 1kw heater (which hardly ever gets turned on)

we have an owl, it is quite useful, shows how many kw you are consuming, and you can set the cost per unit and it keeps a running total of consumption. We usually use about £100-£120 worth of juice a month in winter, all electric no gas but our bill was £338 for December! I nearly fell over!! There is only 3 of us and I'm at work most of the day, admittedly the solar has been generating very little due to the lack of sun the last few weeks of but still. Not looking forward to the lifting of the price cap!!
I also use these, they are also very good, I leave them at customers with usage issues to see if they have the same reading as their meter, they have been really useful too!

we have an owl, it is quite useful, shows how many kw you are consuming, and you can set the cost per unit and it keeps a running total of consumption. We usually use about £100-£120 worth of juice a month in winter, all electric no gas but our bill was £338 for December! I nearly fell over!! There is only 3 of us and I'm at work most of the day, admittedly the solar has been generating very little due to the lack of sun the last few weeks of but still. Not looking forward to the lifting of the price cap!!
I also use these, they are also very good, I leave them at customers with usage issues to see if they have the same reading as their meter, they have been really useful too!
Have you found them to be accurate?

Yes the one I put the link to has been really accurate, I have just got it back from a customer who borrowed it to see how much her hot tub (32a single phase) was costing her to keep warm as her bill was huge over £1200 (very large 7 bedroom house)
And she nearly fell over when she looked at how much it was using!
The owl we have had for 10 years at home and is fine for what we use it for but tbh I have never compared it to my actual meter, never had the necessity (although I might have to now)

Tbh, I thought we were really savvy, all lights in the house are LED, we always keep lights turned off unless needed etc I think it's just the christmas period.

Looking at high loads, it can only be the electric oven and the conservatory 1kw heater (which hardly ever gets turned on)
Your usage seem to be equivalent to about 850W average. Given lights and other always-on stuff like TiVo box, router, etc, are unlikely to come to over 150W or so then something is accounting for ~0.7kW average load.

That could be combination(s) of oven, dishwasher, washing machine, electric shower, etc.

Still some metering would reveal all, especially if it gives you a graphical usage plot over a few day's history.

Out of stock just now.

Still, do you know if there is a means to plot the stored results?

what sort of time granularity does it have if that is possible?

Your usage seem to be equivalent to about 850W average. Given lights and other always-on stuff like TiVo box, router, etc, are unlikely to come to over 150W or so then something is accounting for ~0.7kW average load.

That could be combination(s) of oven, dishwasher, washing machine, electric shower, etc.

Still some metering would reveal all, especially if it gives you a graphical usage plot over a few day's history.

We don't own a dishwasher, electric shower, tumble dryer. It possibly could be the oven, lots of cooking over Christmas.

It could also be the henry hoover, it's been on non stop trying to finish our loft conversion in time for Christmas.

@pc1966
I don't think that you can plot the usage with the elite classic, it will give you daily, weekly and monthly avarage total usage. They do some other ranges that may be able to achieve this, but I have not really looked tbh! I think it updates every 10 seconds or so on the display. They are reasonably clever and the more expensive units will link to an AP that may be able to produce graphs ect.
Sy

It will be interesting to see what schneider offer. I get a considerably discount on schneider products
You need to ask. I forget what it was called!

As far as i remember they were little CT for outgoing circuits within the DB and I think had wireless linking to the monitoring block.

Reply to Energy monitoring/metering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net