Discuss Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The crushing of the sheath certainly won't be temporary, damage may already have been done.

The compressive forces exerted by tightening a clamp onto most types of armoured or metal sheathed cables (sufficient to provide a low resistance joint for fault or other currents to flow) are liable to cause damage to the conductor insulation and bedding. Such misuse of a clamp is a departure from Regulation 512.1.5

Quoting regulations and best practice does not prove that his temporary fix left the installation in a more dangerous condition than he found it.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to go to work every day and work only to best practice, but that's not the world we live in and sometimes calls have to be made that are less than ideal. It has already been argued convincingly that this temporary repair was, perhaps, the best that could be done on the day (subsequently it has been pointed out that the clamp was on steel, rather than lead) and I'd like something more that quotes from regs/BPG4 to back up the contention that he left the installation in a more dangerous condition than it had been previously.

Yes I certainly agree that it is poor practise to use a BS951 clamp on a supply cable and this could indeed be dangerous if done recklessly.
I actually think it isn't fair to dwell on this point, or say he made it worse, as it's a lose-lose situation really.
You either walk away, leaving an unverified earthing system and high ELI, and accept that fault conditions could prove fatal or start a fire.
Or do a temporary unapproved earth connection that has it's own risks, but does leave some earthing in place.
Even if you phone DNO and they say it wasn't TNS, you still have to walk away until you can fit a new earth rod.

Maybe we can agree it's a difficult situation to be in

For the record, that type of supply cable has two layers of steel tape, and the clamp is on the steel tape, not the lead.
View attachment 94746
I would have left as was and like westward said contact dno.

Let me stick to the point of you saying "he didn't make it worse" for a minute just by the glanding to the cable he made it worse
Under no circumstance should an earthing clamp (complying with BS 951 or any other type) be attached to the lead sheath of any cable. In the case of a supply cable this practice is wrong for two reasons:
  • The supply cable is the property of the electricity distributor and
  • The securing of the clamp to the lead sheath is likely to damage the conductor insulation of the supply cable and, with the cold-flow of the lead, the connection is liable to loosen over time. BS 951: 1999 states in Note 3 (second sentence) to its scope that 'such clamps are not intended for connection to the armour or sheath of a cable'.
In the worse cases, this practice may lead to increased risks from the hazards of fire or electric shock.

Do you agree that he made it worse ?
Most main earth's in my town are applied to lead sheaths in this way, including mine. It's before the main fuse so bs7671 doesn't apply.

Quoting regulations and best practice does not prove that his temporary fix left the installation in a more dangerous condition than he found it.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to go to work every day and work only to best practice, but that's not the world we live in and sometimes calls have to be made that are less than ideal. It has already been argued convincingly that this temporary repair was, perhaps, the best that could be done on the day (subsequently it has been pointed out that the clamp was on steel, rather than lead) and I'd like something more that quotes from regs/BPG4 to back up the contention that he left the installation in a more dangerous condition than it had been previo

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to go to work every day and work only to best practice, but that's not the world we live in and sometimes calls have to be made that are less than ideal. It has already been argued convincingly that this temporary repair was, perhaps, the best that could be done on the day (subsequently it has been pointed out that the clamp was on steel, rather than lead) and I'd like something more that quotes from regs/BPG4 to back up the contention that he left the installation in a more dangerous condition than it had been previously.

Most main earth's in my town are applied to lead sheaths in this way, including mine. It's before the main fuse so bs7671 doesn't apply.
And they should have been applied by the DNO not joe bloggs.

Maybe Del should contact Niceic, Dno etc and ask the question on whether it makes it less safe or not.
But we all know what that answer would be.
But there again he could point them to you and you could say "prove it" well done.

Whether steel wrapped or not makes, no odds except the clamp is supposed to be on the lead, so not even that was done properly.

Last edited:
Maybe Del should contact Niceic, Dno etc and ask the question on whether it makes it less safe or not.
But we all know what that answer would be.
But there again he could point them to you and you could say "prove it" well done.

Whether steel wrapped or not makes, no odds except the clamp is supposed to be on the lead, so not even that was done properly.

So nothing to back up your statement that his temporary earthing left the place in a more dangerous condition than he found it?

Disappointing. I come here to learn and I consider asking questions to be an important part of learning. I can read regulations and best practices as well as anyone else - what I can't always do is apply them to every real world situation and in that regard I'm seemingly not alone.

Let me stick to the point of you saying "he didn't make it worse" for a minute just by the glanding to the cable he made it worse
Under no circumstance should an earthing clamp (complying with BS 951 or any other type) be attached to the lead sheath of any cable. In the case of a supply cable this practice is wrong for two reasons:
  • The supply cable is the property of the electricity distributor and
  • The securing of the clamp to the lead sheath is likely to damage the conductor insulation of the supply cable and, with the cold-flow of the lead, the connection is liable to loosen over time. BS 951: 1999 states in Note 3 (second sentence) to its scope that 'such clamps are not intended for connection to the armour or sheath of a cable'.
In the worse cases, this practice may lead to increased risks from the hazards of fire or electric shock.

Do you agree that he made it worse ?
Just in case anyone was wondering, here is the article that @mainline cut-and-paste his answer from:

So nothing to back up your statement that his temporary earthing left the place in a more dangerous condition than he found it?

Disappointing. I come here to learn and I consider asking questions to be an important part of learning. I can read regulations and best practices as well as anyone else - what I can't always do is apply them to every real world situation and in that regard I'm seemingly not alone.

Bit difficult to get back on the tools if their main job is as a College lecturer, don't you think? as all of the guys that taught me were full time Lecturers
Most of the lecturers at the college I went to were electricians who had moved into teaching so I don't see why it would be a problem to do a month or two back on the tools every 5 years or so their teaching was relevant to current methods and materials

He has no idea about what type of earthing system it has, bonding sizes etc, and still doesn't.
He should have called the dno to verify and then irrespective of their response he should not have clamped to the cable simple.
For a TT the zs was good there was no need to alter it, by doing so the potential to be dangerous is there.

He has no idea about what type of earthing system it has, bonding sizes etc, and still doesn't.
He should have called the dno to verify and then irrespective of their response he should not have clamped to the cable simple.
For a TT the zs was good there was no need to alter it, by doing so the potential to be dangerous is there.
like mentioned earlier / a chancer

@dseselectric thank for you taking the time to come on and talk shop. There's a plethora of YouTube sparks out there; some with GOOD things to take from thier videos, some with BAD but you know I thank them nonetheless, I can take some good practice away from some, I can take practices to avoid from others.

There are without a doubt some great educational creators out there; GSH, Joe Robinson, eFixx (when it's not constantly promoting products - Regulation Corner anyone?), SparkyNinja, John Ward, e5 and for channels where tht content creator isn't or hasn't been a spark; Engineering Mindset and a few others I can't recall

My own installation has remnants of rubber, lead, vir, tinned copper and modern PVC/PVC. It's difficult to know what was originally intended. I even found a old earth rod with a mystery cable. With rcd protection and bonded metallic service pipes under the building I would be happy that I would have a sufficient earth path even if the clamp was loose.

Del has bigger balls than me though, I haven't checked the tightness against the sheath.

My own installation has remnants of rubber, lead, vir, tinned copper and modern PVC/PVC. It's difficult to know what was originally intended. I even found a old earth rod with a mystery cable. With rcd protection and bonded metallic service pipes under the building I would be happy that I would have a sufficient earth path even if the clamp was loose.

Del has bigger balls than me though, I haven't checked the tightness against the sheath.
He's not allowed to clamp or make a connection to that sheath, I would have only made that connection as a last resort if there had been no earth at all, and it was going to be temporary.

What he should have done is re-instate the 30ma rcds put the cover on and home for tea.

Are you saying that although you know that he shouldn't be connecting to the cable, you don't know the reason as to why the dno prohibit it ? Surely if you read all the regs etc then you would know.

Watched up to about 5 minutes

Not great that he earthed the socket but ignored the rest of the circuit, if that's the way he left it

Lets not forget not every job has a massive budget to make significant changes , some jobs the customer only wants to lay out the bare minimum money possible

Del does of lot of HMOs and Rentals which again landlords only prepared to pay for what work is 'absolutely necessary'
costs shouldn't equal poor workmanship Mate, if they wont pay for a safe job walk away, leave it for someone that doesn't care about safe jobs. Come on!!!!

Reply to Good Old Delroy, he gets all the best Jobs :) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock