Discuss Hello everyone:) quick self introduction and question. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

maciek

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I've come across this forum, started reading it and couldnt resist to not share my point of view and ask the question.
About me:
I was always interested in electricians trade. I've worked 3 years as an electricians mate in Poland, 3 years in France, then I come to UK. And I've never touched any electrics in here. I will point out why:
1 .Because of the language - you have to be fluent to learn it properly, there is no space for missunderstandigs in this trade. And at that point I wasnt confident enough.
2. Because I am not certified. You have all of that regulations / schemes for a reason.
3. Because I knew, that even if I do the courses, they will mean nothing without experience gained in here. I've spent 6 Years in two different countries , I do consider myself somebody who learns and adapts quite fast, but in my opinion the knowlenge/habits i have could do more harm than good ( training received by learning from older electricians and self studying only, doesnt really mean anything).
4. Because I think in my case i wouldnt be able to gain that experience, it would be to difficult to find a good electrician willing to take me in, specially being 34 years old.
So I stayed out of it.
Found a different job ( building merchants trade), started as a labour , being an assistant manager now. The problem is, I would still love to bin it and get back to electrics, I just dont want to become one of that eastern european cowboy builders. I've seen too many of them(in all 3 countries). And being Polish I am not proud of them. In my opinion If Youre going to another country, You need to respect its law, learn its culture, language and if You want to stay there try to make it a good place, contribute towards it, apreciate that You've been taken in despite the fact You couldnt even express yourself properly when you arrived(broken English). If something its a no-go, dont do it just because its possible.There is always an other way.
The question is: do You think I would still have a time to do it the proper way? I am only asking for Your opinion because Youve already been through it, and know how hard it was.
And sorry for my spelling:)
Thanks

Hi,
I've come across this forum, started reading it and couldnt resist to not share my point of view and ask the question.
About me:
I was always interested in electricians trade. I've worked 3 years as an electricians mate in Poland, 3 years in France, then I come to UK. And I've never touched any electrics in here. I will point out why:
1 .Because of the language - you have to be fluent to learn it properly, there is no space for missunderstandigs in this trade. And at that point I wasnt confident enough.
2. Because I am not certified. You have all of that regulations / schemes for a reason.
3. Because I knew, that even if I do the courses, they will mean nothing without experience gained in here. I've spent 6 Years in two different countries , I do consider myself somebody who learns and adapts quite fast, but in my opinion the knowlenge/habits i have could do more harm than good ( training received by learning from older electricians and self studying only, doesnt really mean anything).
4. Because I think in my case i wouldnt be able to gain that experience, it would be to difficult to find a good electrician willing to take me in, specially being 34 years old.
So Iistayed out of it.
Found a different job ( building merchants trade), started as a labour , being an assistant manager now. The problem is, I would still love to bin it and get back to electrics, I just dont want to become one of that eastern european cowboy builders. I've seen too many of them(in all 3 countries). And being Polish I am not proud of them. In my opinion If Youre going to another country, You need to respect its law, learn its culture, language and if You want to stay there try to make it a good place, contribute towards it, apreciate that You've been taken in despite the fact You couldnt even express yourself properly when you arrived(broken English). If something its a no-go, dont do it just because its possible.There is always an other way.
The question is: do You think I would still have a time to do it the proper way? I am only asking for Your opinion because Youve already been through it, and know how hard it was.
And sorry for my spelling:)
Thanks
@meciek first off if you have done well in other countries with language and work why are you doubting your self. It’s not to late, I didn’t even get into electrical till I was 28 with O experience and I learned electrical. Never and I mean never give up. There’s guys on this site that can you
More than I can help you. I’m from the USA so I don’t know their way of doing things. Good luck

Zapraszam na forum , in uk to become a qualified spark you must jump through hoops to get were you want to .you must under stand the current IET regulation ,under the stand the electricity act ,and the judge and jury if outs go wrong is the heath and safety executive ,where you will go to jail.

@meciek first off if you have done well in other countries with language and work why are you doubting your self. It’s not to late, I didn’t even get into electrical till I was 28 with O experience and I learned electrical. Never and I mean never give up. There’s guys on this site that can you
More than I can help you. I’m from the USA so I don’t know their way of doing things. Good luck
@Megawatt thank You for the kind words. Its not about doubting myself. Its more trying to make right decision(family to feed), thats why I am asking. I dont know any electricians in my area, so i dont really know the market / or how many years it would take (estimate) to become qualified.
[automerge]1569778086[/automerge]
Zapraszam na forum , in uk to become a qualified spark you must jump through hoops to get were you want to .you must under stand the current IET regulation ,under the stand the electricity act ,and the judge and jury if outs go wrong is the heath and safety executive ,where you will go to jail.
@buzzlightyear Thanks for Your reply. And Yes, I am aware of all of that. As i said in first post those regulations are there to be respected. My question was how long it usually takes to do that in a proper way and not taking shortcuts.

Last edited:
it depends how quick you pick it up ,dont be dishearten if you have the money then is well and good ,go on a night course at your local collage ,and go from there .if you speak a little bit of English then thats good . just to let you know my uncle was a pole ,so that make me one of you . :)Wayne Cegielski - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Cegielski so that make me royalty .lol.

Last edited:
it depends how quick you pick it up ,dont be dishearten if you have the money then is well and good ,go on a night course at your local collage ,and go from there .
would i have to do ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS (BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES) LEVEL 2 and 3 DIPLOMA (2 years) before i can start looking for an electricians mate job? or loooking for an electrician that I can labour for on the weekends? (wchich probably wont be easy to find:))

To qualify as an electrician, you need an industry-recognised Level 3 qualification, such as: Level 3 NVQ diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Maintenance) Level 3 NVQ diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems & Equipment (Buildings, Structure and the Environmen

sorry , Ive only read half of Your post somehow. :):)World is small, and there is /was many poles around the globe:)
I struggled with english few years ago and its still far of perfect but for past 3 years I sell timber and building supplies for a living being only foreign employee in the company, so i hope i will be ok in college.
Yeah, but to achieve level 3, i do need to learn level 1 and 2, and gain some experience. My question was
what do i need to pass/learn to be able to start gaining practice.?
Sorry for asking so many questions, but google is quite missleading

if you are in the building merchants trade, try some of your electrical contractor customers, they might well have some jobs on the side that they would like a little help with.
it will help with your understanding of the way things are done here and give you good experience.

Reply to Hello everyone:) quick self introduction and question. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock