Currently reading:
help wiring inverter to car ramp

Discuss help wiring inverter to car ramp in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

that sounds good are the readings im getting 148v right then.
could you point me in the right direction on how to change star to delta im fairly new to motors
also do you know if i can use this inverter just as a phase changer and not have to set the freq
thanks

your meter is reading 148v because the circuitry of your meter is calibrated to read voltage at 50Hz, your inverter is not putting out voltage at 50Hz so you are getting weird readings. in the motor terminal box you should find your star point, jumper bars connecting u2,v2,w2 together, remove these and connect to opposite terminals, u1/w2, v1/u2, w1/v2, your now delta connected, let me know how you get on:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some questions -

• You say you are putting in single phase ? exactly what - Single phase 230V or dual phase 400V.
  • Is the unit a single/3 phase, single phase only or 3 phase only. Which of the possible input voltage ranges is it ?
  • What is the model number of the invertor you are using ?
  • The manual provided and the model number to give you out exactly what input / output volts and frequency you need and should have.
0.75 kW = 1hp, so your motor is 2.5 HP.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but the information supplied is not enough to do anything other than take a wild guess to fill in the blanks and try to give an answer. Also unless we know the full information then acting on any response could potentially cause damage to both the equipment and more worryingly yourself or others.

right i have a 380-420vy 1.85kw motor not sure on hp
inverter is a ac tech scf series
wired the single phase in and 3 phase out but does not work
volt meter reads 148v at each phase to ground but phase to phase 0v have i set it up wrong can anyone help
heres the manual thanks
http://www.ctiautomation.net/PDF/AC-Tech/AC-Tech-SCF-Drives-Installation-Operation-Manual.pdf

At no point in the op does it list the particular model number in question. The linked manual lists 32 different model types, of varying parameters. Until such time as we know exactly which model we are dealing with then this entire thread is full of nothing more than educated guesses. Guesses can be both dangerous and deadly.

bomjac, i apologise and stand corrected, but this aint rocket science, if i was asking these questions i would be sacked on the spot, but the op hasnt much motor experience so maybe i'm being complacent, 32 different types? of models ? yes, of input and outputs?? dont think so. ill hand this over to you m8, later.

Some questions -

• You say you are putting in single phase ? exactly what - Single phase 230V or dual phase 400V.
  • Is the unit a single/3 phase, single phase only or 3 phase only. Which of the possible input voltage ranges is it ?
  • What is the model number of the invertor you are using ?
  • The manual provided and the model number to give you out exactly what input / output volts and frequency you need and should have.
0.75 kW = 1hp, so your motor is 2.5 HP.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but the information supplied is not enough to do anything other than take a wild guess to fill in the blanks and try to give an answer. Also unless we know the full information then acting on any response could potentially cause damage to both the equipment and more worryingly yourself or others.

surely some of your questions are answred in the op. you ask single phase or dual phase. he says single phase, and 3 phase out. maybe I can't read???. as usual there is someone who asks over the top questions rather than help.

If its a single phase input inverter (ie. 230vac) then you will not get 380-420v to your motor!!!

If you have a dual voltage motor, where you can use 3ph 230v D... you may be in luck.

At no point in the op does it list the particular model number in question. The linked manual lists 32 different model types, of varying parameters. Until such time as we know exactly which model we are dealing with then this entire thread is full of nothing more than educated guesses. Guesses can be both dangerous and deadly.

I'll hazard a guess at SF230Y

Just going on past experience have you got a pot or resistor connected to the speed reference? No resistance = no speed. Also where is the safety contactor fitted? If after the VFD it needs to be closed before the VFD is energised.

hi thanks for all you replies
all i want to do is make my 240v supply work my 3 phase motor as i think this inverter will do this job
i will get the full part number today of the scf
the motor has 2 voltage ops on it one is 380-420v Y
the other being 220-240v delta 2820 r/min 3-50hz
i asume this is what you mean if your asking if the motor is dual power thanks

thanks for all you help everyone i will let you know how it all goes tonight

Hi,
as you have said the motor is a dual voltage type, first, the motor needs to be wired for 220-240v delta. then you need to access the inverter program parameters to set the current limit and overload levels for the motor, this would protect the motor if any thing went a miss.
you will have to decide which stop start set up you need for your application, i personally would use two wire stop start using preset speeds,fwd and rev. i would use an accel time for starting(soft start) and coast to stop.
the strange voltage you are getting are down to the fact that the out put voltage of the inverter is DC pulsed to simulate AC.

hi guys i have wired the motor to each opposite terminal which being v2-w1 u2-v1
u1-w2 is this right or have i got to wire it to the terminals you said
also the inverter came in a prefab box which has on off sw and a dial for freq (but this is broken) and a reverse sw
at the moment all it is doing is buzzing wont spin thanks

See my last post, I asked if there was a pot on the speed reference. It’s usually 0 to 10K linier. I normally use a 10 turn wire wound. Read the rest of the post as well!
Motor connections
Delta
U1 > V2
V1 > W2
W1 > U2
Star
U1
V1
W1
U2,V2 & W2 bridged

Reply to help wiring inverter to car ramp in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back