Discuss High electric use in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

I live with my daughter in a dormer bungalow. The combined gas and electric bill is coming in in the region of 250 per month.

it is a fairly big house, but we are only using limited rooms and apart from a tumble dryer which is on every other day, I can’t think what can be causing the bills to be so high.

In my previous house which was a new build so much more energy-efficient my bills were about £100 per month combined. The gas makes up about half of the 250 total which I understand because at the moment one of the rooms isn’t completely secure so the heating must be working extra hard as hot air is escaping Through have certain points in a room that is being renovated.
I can’t understand however why the electric is so high. Any ideas about what I could do? I’ve turned off all of the fuse switches and the meter stops running so it doesn’t appear to be anyThing outside of the house. Are use my tumble dryer at the same frequency previously I never had bills like this so I can’t really think it’s the tumble dryer. I did have some old spotlights in the kitchen, but they have currently been removed so I’ve just got normal bulbs in the house.

thanks

TL;DR
Electric too high can’t understand why
Was it a step change from your 'normal' previous bills? Can you share your bill totals per month.

Was it a step change from your 'normal' previous bills? Can you share your bill totals per month.
Yes my previous bill in the old house was probably about 130 per month and this is about 250 per month! Copy picture attached this is on estimated readings but it’s actually more like 250 as the actual readings are higher

Attachments

• 394E5528-964D-4A6C-B251-7227DCFEDB63.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 14
I'm guessing the E figure after the meter reading is Estimate... check this figure against the actual reading, you may be paying based on an older average usage.

Reactions: DPG
Agreed... the E is definitely 'Estimated'... so those readings are largely a work of fiction.

You seem to be on a fairly high tariff - 0ver 27p/day and 18.9p/kWhr
One of my properties is just under 16p/day and 13.2p/kWhr day, 9.5p/kWhr night.
This difference alone would take off about 30% of your bill.

Reactions: DPG
There is also a note on the bill (mentioned twice) that you'd save money if you paid by direct debit.

Thanks. The actual readings are higher than the estimated readings and would increase the bill. My electrician has had a look today and thinks that there is something wrong with the meter so that may explain it although I realise that the tariff may need changing too. Thanks v much

Reply to High electric use in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net