Search the forum,

Discuss In defence of the short course trainee in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

... you know, a sparky, man and boy. Wears a boiler suit, smokes a pipe, screwdrivers are rusty and kept in a bucket .... what's known on here as a proper 'spark'...... at at least if Scam/JIB membership was compulsory things like this might happen less as everyone would have to be checked/monitored somehow?

Valid point .... but the industry cant (doesnt want to?) sort itself out to ensure competency through a combination of on-going training, education, experience and assessment gives a "licence" to be able to 'trade' as an electrician!

Valid point .... but the industry cant (doesnt want to?) sort itself out to ensure competency through a combination of on-going training, education, experience and assessment gives a "licence" to be able to 'trade' as an electrician!
well...
one thing that the NIC approved contractor assessor did bring up on his recent visit..

was the need for what they call `continuing professional development`...

this would imply updates to publications...and going on courses/training....as the needs of your work changes....

not to mention changes of editions to BS7671 etc...

Glenn, I doubt this fella had a copy of the 15th Ed!
lol....

no...he came with his BGB...and a few other bits n bats in the bag....

at least he didn`t attempt to sell me some `callibration`...out of the back of his car for one of my MFTs and one of the pat testers i have slung in the corner...

unlike Mr elecsa....

this guy wasn`t bad....no, really he wasn`t...

caus i thought it wouldn`t pass without an attempt at selling something (they usually do)...

but it was just straight down to business really...

the way it aught to be....the assessment was all over by 3:30..ish...

A man who does electrical installation work without insurance is foolish, to say the least, and leaving blanks out of a live board in a public area only goes to confirm this. In which case I don't think it makes much of a difference what his training or experience was, so it's probably not an ideal example. There must be many out there who perhaps learned in more of a state of austerity and are accustomed to making do and bodging here and there, but if they've covered enough ground and they have a bit of common sense they know what's blatantly unsafe and wouldn't leave a job looking like that.

A man who does electrical installation work without insurance is foolish, to say the least, and leaving blanks out of a live board in a public area only goes to confirm this. In which case I don't think it makes much of a difference what his training or experience was, so it's probably not an ideal example. There must be many out there who perhaps learned in more of a state of austerity and are accustomed to making do and bodging here and there, but if they've covered enough ground and they have a bit of common sense they know what's blatantly unsafe and wouldn't leave a job looking like that.
indeed lucien...

missing blanks....hmm...

crap innit...

My Grandad never took a driving test. Ever. He was given a licence in the navy in the lead up to WWII.

after that he drove nigh on every truck imaginable, fire engines, racing Porsches. Even as an Octagenarian I watched him stuggle into a high powered car and drove it with great skill, despite his age, lack of familiarity and having never taken a test!

not sure if this analogy helps or hinders but I think the moral is there can be great practitioners of a particular trade or skill with or without bits of paper; similarly also without formal training (but years of experience).

My Grandad never took a driving test. Ever. He was given a licence in the navy in the lead up to WWII.

after that he drove nigh on every truck imaginable, fire engines, racing Porsches. Even as an Octagenarian I watched him stuggle into a high powered car and drove it with great skill, despite his age, lack of familiarity and having never taken a test!

not sure if this analogy helps or hinders but I think the moral is there can be great practitioners of a particular trade or skill with or without bits of paper; similarly also without formal training (but years of experience).

My Mum who was born in 1923 learned to drive when she was 17. It was a case of 3 "lessons" with a bloke from up the street who had a driving licence then she paid some money at (I think) the post office and the licence was hers.

I still have it - it's a bit of red cardboard folded in half making a booklet about 2" square and inside it says that - among other things - she's permitted to drive a steam roller.

The car she drove for her mother's drapery business was an Austin Seven and she called it "Daisy" because some days it went and other days it didn't!!

Dad was in the Army during the war and was an engineer in REME. He learned to drive there and drove all sorts of things including half tracks and tank transporters. After he was demobbed, he never drove again. He just had no interest in it.

I still have it - it's a bit of red cardboard folded in half making a booklet about 2" square and inside it says that - among other things - she's permitted to drive a steam roller.

I think that's what my old man had (b. 1910), sure me mother showed me it last year or so.
The household was mortified when he got stopped for speeding about 79/80, Father's got an offence on his licence!!!!!!!

My grandad who was from the travelling side of the family never took a test either. In between owning the dodgems he built many of the Roman Roads in the Midlands. He used to drive right down the middle of the road like a scalextric car (in 2nd gear), and my gran used to hang her handbag on the pulled out choke cable which stayed out for the entire journey. :auto:

he built many of the Roman Roads in the Midlands.

christ, he must 've been old then. the romans left around 200AD.

Reply to In defence of the short course trainee in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock