Currently reading:
Is an isolator switch needed for your electrics to be upto 17th edition?

Discuss Is an isolator switch needed for your electrics to be upto 17th edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

adrian12

Im having some work done on my property soon (Post Office & House). I was advised that my electrics need to be upto 17th edition, so I had a electrician sort it out. New fuse box with all the usual RCD stuff.

I have now been told I need to get an isolator switch before any work can be carried out by the company working on behalf of the Post Office.

My question is, do I need this for 17th edition or is it just a safety issue that the company carrying out the work require?

What sort of isolator switch are they on about?

Are they going to be swapping your CU? If so it is illegal for a electrician to remove any seals fitted to incoming fuses to isolate the supply in which case you would need to contact your DNO and ask them fit a isolator so that the works can be carried out.

i assume that they want to be able to isolate the CU before carrying out work. not strictly necessary, but if that's what they request, get a spark to fit one between the meter and the CU.

you need to do a part pee course straight from manning a phone in a call centre in india, pay a scam £500 and still not be competent to fit an isolator.

Its now Norland who have the new contract for the Post Office. I have contacted the DNO who will get it fitted next week for £111. The Post Office asked me to have the electrics upgraded to 17th edition. So before I bill them for the isolator I wanted to find out if it was actually part of 17th edition, which I would have to pay for it, or if its just Norland safety procedure in which case they pay.

did a sub-PO the other week. gave them a 4 way metal schneider CU, fed as a sub-main from 3 phase DB so isolation on feed. allowed them to fit what MCBs and RCDs they wanted with CU dead.

Im having some work done on my property soon (Post Office & House). I was advised that my electrics need to be upto 17th edition, so I had a electrician sort it out. New fuse box with all the usual RCD stuff.

I have now been told I need to get an isolator switch before any work can be carried out by the company working on behalf of the Post Office.

My question is, do I need this for 17th edition or is it just a safety issue that the company carrying out the work require?
The simple answer is ask the company who have suggested this for clarification, coming on here asking us to roll a dice for you a bit Daft.

The simple answer is ask the company who have suggested this for clarification, coming on here asking us to roll a dice for you a bit Daft.

Already asked them and still waiting on more information. They dont seem to be very forthcoming and its been a while. hence the reason why I am on this forum,

It would seem I have been a bit daft then coming onto a Electricians forums to get advice on electric issues that im a bit clueless about.

If the regs are too complex to answer based on this, then you can just say that. Or like others have done, post an example of what they have experienced with this to help me out.

Thanks to those who have responsed with info. Your time was appreciated.

Already asked them and still waiting on more information. They dont seem to be very forthcoming and its been a while. hence the reason why I am on this forum,

It would seem I have been a bit daft then coming onto a Electricians forums to get advice on electric issues that im a bit clueless about.

If the regs are too complex to answer based on this, then you can just say that. Or like others have done, post an example of what they have experienced with this to help me out.

Thanks to those who have responsed with info. Your time was appreciated.
It is nothing to do with complex issues, the original post was a bit confusing, perhaps it is the way you posted it or the way I read it, I will read it again.

It seems like the contractor wants one fitting as he needs to either change the board or add a board and as we are not allowed to remove seals from the dno equipment he wont be able to turn the power off and working live is not something we do if there is another way, so no im pretty sure that the 17th regs do not require a isolator between the meter and cu (unless the meter tails connecting the meter and cu are more then 3 meters in length).

Im a trainee Electrician so I may be wrong.

Well read it again, I think your talking about an isolator between the main meter and the board, you could get the local electricity provider to install a double pole isolator, or phone a spark who will be delighted to do it, either way it is no big deal, assuming thats what you meant in your post, if they cannot clarify what they want however you will have problems getting the job done, I mean if the firm asking for an isolator cannot clarify what they want then LMAO what do they expect you to do?

I've read the OP 4 times and I'm still confused, so:

1. Who owns the property?

2. Who is the supplier?

3. Who is paying for the upgrade works to be done?

4. Have you asked the contractor you will be using what they think as local knowledge can be helpful!

Reply to Is an isolator switch needed for your electrics to be upto 17th edition? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock