Currently reading:
Kitchen downlighters - ceiling void full of insulation. plastic pipes, venting

Discuss Kitchen downlighters - ceiling void full of insulation. plastic pipes, venting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z

zippy

Hi, partly through a job to fit 18 mains voltage downlighters to kitchen. They are fire-rated and designed for low energy lamps.

Trying to avoid taking up floors above as house is new and the floor boarding is squares of chipboard type material that is tongue & groove on all edges and nailed down so a real pain to remove. Working from below, located all joists and marked out positions of all holes and drilled out.

Having drilled out, the ceiling void above is full with insulation, and also plastic water piping and various sections of venting from the extractors in kitchen and downstairs toilet.

Now worried about heat build-up around the sections of the downlighters within the void. Can move away the insulation from around the holes, but unsure about the palstic water piping and very thin plastic venting.

Have ensured at least 3 inch clearance from any joists, but was wondering about all the other stuff up there and what clearance it may need as some of it will be difficult to move without a lot of work.

Seen thermal caps on the web that seem to sit on top of the downlighters and are sealed with mastic.

Anyone have any advice they can give me on how to proceed?

Regards

just rearrange the lights, most state you need 100mm to dissapate the heat. i had same problem while back when working from below but was my first time and on the last line of two a waste pipe came right beside fittinganout a 10mm gap, i put heat reflective tape on the pipe and with no problems yet. but cant help myself to keep checking. for piece of mind i would re arrange layout before you go any further. remember 100mm either way is what most say. you could use exspensive low power lamps/bulbs but they could just replace them with cheap HOT ones. i guess your learning like myself and cracking on with jobs, but do it right and start how you finish.

Last edited:
Thanks folks for all the help. Managed to get the pipework out of the way by making small wooden legs with a plastic pipe snap-clip screwed onto one end ... snapped clip onto the pipe and then pushed leg up through hole and slid it (well missus did!) well out of the way of hole ... this got all pipework well clear of fittings. Did similar for venting just using wooden legs that spanned ceiling to floor above and pushed venting well clear of fitting. Overall pain in the proverbial ... but as there was so much crap up there it would have been difficult to re-design and find any locations that were problem free. For 3 of the runs ... had to pull all of the insulation out of the 65mm holes ... again ... missus came into her own <grin> ... not a nice job though ... will be scratching for a week!

Reply to Kitchen downlighters - ceiling void full of insulation. plastic pipes, venting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock