Discuss New to forum, Is it just me!! how have I got Voltage?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So,you confirmed isolated and safe,then placed the multimeter probes at the same point,and this is the reading we are discussing?

I'm not sure I've understood correctly, but the N will be floating about when it's isolated. Measuring between the means of earthing and floating neutrals may give some induced voltages. These should disappear with using a 2 pole voltage probe (due to its lower internal impedance).

So,you confirmed isolated and safe,then placed the multimeter probes at the same point,and this is the reading we are discussing?
Isolated at main switch, 2 probe volt tester between L in and neutral bar LEDs on tester 240v. I am only getting the voltage with circuits connected. As has been suggested already is one circuit the issue and giving me return path, however if I disconnect all circuits in the property then probe L in to any disconnected neutral I am also getting between 120v and 240v ( with the cpcs disconnected as well of course)

Hi dude,you could have an installation,in a property,which is not even connected to the supply,and dependant on what equipment was in there,and what measuring instrument you chose...you could still get those voltages...

If you have two extension leads,i can give you a quick and easy way to demonstrate this. :)

Reply to New to forum, Is it just me!! how have I got Voltage?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone, When checking my consumer unit voltages with the full board off, I stumbled across something head scratching. Measuring the feed...
Replies
Views
So, I was messing around yesterday with some old testers I have laying around to see if they still work I found my dads old Robin MFT and noticed...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Great to of found this forum. Much respect for keeping everyone safe! My background is in commercial data and Audio Visual. Been...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
Hi, have an old bathroom fan. Which has two wires the black and red (line and neutral). The fan has no isolator switch and was powered when the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock