Discuss Oscilliating saw Vs Circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tidy Max

So i was looking at getting a new Makita circular saw, as its about time i got one and i want all of my tools to use the Makita li-ion batteries. Then i was in a CEF a while back and i saw a Fein stand advertising one of their multimaster tools, the demonstration was showing it being used for floor boards, skirting boards, cutting in back boxes in plasterboard etc. I was attracted to it because of how thin the blades were, the end product looked really good.

I hadn't really come across oscillating saws before i had only used reciprocating ones, today is power tool buying day and i've come across a Makita oscillating saw! Hoorah! But i'm not well informed enough to decide on whether to shell out £300 quid on a circular or the oscillator!

Here are the tools anyway:
Fein Oscillator

Makita 18v Li-Ion Oscillator

Makita Circular - This link is for the smaller handheld 10.8v circ, again, which to go for? A full size or a smaller one?

Circular Saw page - Here are the range of circulars...if you can see any which would be better than the ones ive picked!

As always, any advice is much appreciated, its basically only going to be used for cutting hatches and lifting boards.

Max

Different tools altogether. I have the Bosch version (which is much cheaper) and I wouldn't be without it now. Need to take an inch off a unit to get trunking past? No problem...Need a perfect cut in plasterboard? No problem....Need to take a section of floorboard out without any surface damage whatsoever? No problem.
Not a fast tool, so no good for cutting through miles of chipboard (unless you have several hours to spare), but as one of those invaluable tools, it wins hands down.

In the next few weeks I was planning to get Makita 18v circular body only. The reason only being to lift floor boards up. Now I don't hardly ever do any domestic work but when I get asked the first thing I dread is lifting the boards especially if they need cutting! Unless someone has another alternative to the circular saw for cutting floorboards then please shout up! Also for the sake of 100 quid I thought it would be worth the money.

In the next few weeks I was planning to get Makita 18v circular body only. The reason only being to lift floor boards up. Now I don't hardly ever do any domestic work but when I get asked the first thing I dread is lifting the boards especially if they need cutting! Unless someone has another alternative to the circular saw for cutting floorboards then please shout up! Also for the sake of 100 quid I thought it would be worth the money.

for the sake off £100 why not?

have a look at fastfix there makita gear is cheap and they sell all the tools inc body only

they have got an offer on for there sds for 299 and they will throw in the circular saw

or 109 for body only

www.fastfix.co.uk/makita/Makita-BSS611Z-18v-Circular-Saw-Body-Only.html

Last edited:
If you go for the oscillator grab a corded version....battery drains out pretty quickly (as with cordless grinder)

But I guess it depends on your usage, dragging the tranny 8 flights of stairs for one cut...

But for continued use, which no doubt it'll be once you find out its variables...go for 230v/110

I like the oscillator saws, but be prepared to spend a lot on blades as they do wear out quickly, that said for convenience (not speed!) they are unbeatable, you can get a precise clean cut in most locations and with a range of materials. You can also cut floorboards (if you only need to cut one or two), only thing is there is not specific depth control if you are worried about pipes beneath, but it is controllable.
I do have a circular saw for bigger jobs, and it is miles faster but very much less precise (except for depth cutting).

Circular saw will be many many times faster taking boards up but I would also buy a cheap (even a £30 one) multitool. The multitools are great for little accurate cuts.

Forgot to say that multitool creates much less dust than a circular saw!

Last edited:
Different tools altogether. I have the Bosch version (which is much cheaper) and I wouldn't be without it now. Need to take an inch off a unit to get trunking past? No problem...Need a perfect cut in plasterboard? No problem....Need to take a section of floorboard out without any surface damage whatsoever? No problem.
Not a fast tool, so no good for cutting through miles of chipboard (unless you have several hours to spare), but as one of those invaluable tools, it wins hands down.

Wow, this statement sounds like an advert for the Bosch Oscilater...lol If I didnt already have one....I would certainly go out and get one!!lol.
Great tool!!!

I use a corded (110V) circular and an 18V Makita multitool. I wouldn't even dream of getting a cordless saw and on the flip side, neither would I ever see a use for a corded multitool.

Top marks from me on the cordless Makita multitool though, it has got me out of many crap situations and the fact that it is cordless helps so much! One little cut to make? just grab from the van, cut, then put back. The convenience factor is unbeatable IMHO, plus the Makita is just as good as the Fein, only slightly cheaper. If you already have 18V LI-Ion Makita tools I would really be considering getting the cordless mate.

Also, Shark Blades for the blades. Top quality at a very reasonable price!

Mr D Skelton you have swayed me, Makita should give you a sales job!

Ive gone for the Li-ion Makita with a couple of 3Ah batteries to complement the rest of my Makita gear.

Thanks for the advice!

Look at what you guys have done now, i started off asking wether to get an oscillating saw or a circular and ive ended up buying the oscillating, the circular, and the friggin sds!

Thanks for the replies though, that sds deal was too good to miss out on, id been planning on getting the 36v Li-ion but for the amount it will get used its not worth buying over twice the price.

well, don't leave the buggers on the van, and if on a site, don't let them out of your sight. (no pun intended)

Reply to Oscilliating saw Vs Circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net