Discuss Metal Cutting circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

its down to each site mate, we do a lot of ahu's and dont need permits.

like i say its down to the blade if you need one or not.

most sites are not that strict, chopsaws with a tct blade dont create sparks so are allowed without hotworks.

if they wont let us do it without a permit we set up a cutting room off site and bring the gear in (we have all access keys and swipe cards)

Thanks for the input mate. It looks like we've been on different sites. A chop saw is not an option for me. If you would like to come and argue with the H&S you're more than welcome.

I originally asked if anyone had used the Milwaukee saw. Not what I can cut strut with or debate about carbide blades.

I hope I go onto a site where you work so I can use chopsaw's and grinders.

cheers.

Thanks for the input mate. It looks like we've been on different sites. A chop saw is not an option for me. If you would like to come and argue with the H&S you're more than welcome.

I originally asked if anyone had used the Milwaukee saw. Not what I can cut strut with or debate about carbide blades.

I hope I go onto a site where you work so I can use chopsaw's and grinders.

cheers.
you will like it, hardhat is optional. permits are given out like sweets, by that i mean filled out for you and get brought to you to just sign.

I have the 22V Hilti SCM-22A and it cuts through strut and threaded rod no bother at all - like butter. Haven't used the Milwaukee.

(Sorry, didn't realise that this thread was ancient!)

Last edited:
The Makita 18V Metal Cutter, basically the circular saw without the mitre adjustment is fantastic. Will even handle unistrut with ease, no hot works ticket needed either.

I bought the evolution saw first as it had a bigger blade but the cuts aren't dead 90 due to the mitre adjustment moving around. Which was rubbish as i was installing tray. Swapped for the makita and love it. chucked my hacksaw away lol

Even good to chop down armoured (25mm + it might struggle with)

The Makita 18V Metal Cutter, basically the circular saw without the mitre adjustment is fantastic. Will even handle unistrut with ease, no hot works ticket needed either.

I bought the evolution saw first as it had a bigger blade but the cuts aren't dead 90 due to the mitre adjustment moving around. Which was rubbish as i was installing tray. Swapped for the makita and love it. chucked my hacksaw away lol

Even good to chop down armoured (25mm + it might struggle with)
get a battery grinder with a tct blade and your away, much better and you dont need a permit

(tct blades are the ones that are loud as **** but dont create sparks)

this will also make it easier to cut the tray etc in situ

get a battery grinder with a tct blade and your away, much better and you dont need a permit

(tct blades are the ones that are loud as **** but dont create sparks)

this will also make it easier to cut the tray etc in situ

Good idea, I don't usually work on sites anyway so I use the stainless steel blades in the grinder but I might try one of these to. I keep breaking the blades in my bag as they are so thin

Reply to Metal Cutting circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net