Discuss Metal Cutting circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RSB

Hello All,

Has anyone got or used the Milwaukee metal cutting circular 18V? I would like to know how it compares to the Hilti

have used the Hilti and thought it to be an excellent tool however I have ever had much luck with Hilti tools, usually the have broken jut outside of their warranty.

I would use it for cutting unistrut,threaded bar.

The spec of the milwaukee only cuts steel @ depth of 1.2mm and wondered how it cuts strut(heavy gauge)

cheers

I think grinders and chopsaws are the favoured tools for metal munching, and a damn sight cheaper that a lovely expensive battery saw you are planning to use outside of it's capabilities.

EDIT: Having said that, this video shows it ripping through stud and strut no probs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClHAhVn14E

Get one, it's well shiny !!!!

Last edited:
cheers for the link Andy. You're right about chop saw's ad grinders but they need "Hot works" depending on the site and you may as well not bother asking.

The Milwaukee looks ok but I would like to know how it handles 41mm strut. I used the Hilti on a site but it got stolen. It handled our tasks just fine.

cheers

cheers for the link Andy. You're right about chop saw's ad grinders but they need "Hot works" depending on the site and you may as well not bother asking.

The Milwaukee looks ok but I would like to know how it handles 41mm strut. I used the Hilti on a site but it got stolen. It handled our tasks just fine.

cheers

I have no personal experience to offer you I'm afraid. The video shows it, and recommends it for cutting standard strut. I have the standard 18V saw and that is a pretty powerful tool for a battery saw.

Makita do an 18 volt metal cutting saw as well. I don't own one but I have a Bosch 18v woodsaw which takes a slightly bigger blade and always wondered if I bought the metal cutting blade if it would work in the Bosch saw for sheet steel up to 1.5mm

cheers
not if they have tct blade, a lot of sites dont require a permit then.

it depends on the site though i have been on some sites where i was surprised i didnt need a risk assement and method statement to have a $hit

Makita do an 18 volt metal cutting saw as well. I don't own one but I have a Bosch 18v woodsaw which takes a slightly bigger blade and always wondered if I bought the metal cutting blade if it would work in the Bosch saw for sheet steel up to 1.5mm

Not 100% sure how long your saw would last. The wood saws seem to spin at higher rpm's than specific metal cutting saws.

not if they have tct blade, a lot of sites dont require a permit then.

it depends on the site though i have been on some sites where i was surprised i didnt need a risk assement and method statement to have a $hit

It seems site dependent for permits etc. 1st choice would be a chop saw but as said everywhere I've been has required a permit regardless of blade or everyone uses the chop saw destroying the blade. I prefer to have my own tools and a circular saw is more portable.

It seems site dependent for permits etc. 1st choice would be a chop saw but as said everywhere I've been has required a permit regardless of blade or everyone uses the chop saw destroying the blade. I prefer to have my own tools and a circular saw is more portable.

why would you use a circular saw? use a grinder, much better and you can swap the blade for masonry to do chases etc as well.

the only time ill use a circular saw is taking up floorboards

Evolution rage chop saws are a cold cutting 'one blade cuts everything' soloution
thats a tct blade.

a chopsaw with a tct blade can save a lot of time.

we did a job with loads of seggy 4X2 trunking and it cuts it cleanly with very little filing (same with unistrut) just make sure to use ear defenders/plugs as they make normal chopsaw blades sound quite

Not 100% sure how long your saw would last. The wood saws seem to spin at higher rpm's than specific metal cutting saws.
I checked and the rotation speed is identical it's just that the metal cutting blade is a smaller diameter so the speed of travel of the cutting tooth will be less. They're also similar power motors so I was tempted to give it a try, I'm just not sure if the centre fitting is the same because nobody around me has stock on the shelf that I can look at :(.

I checked and the rotation speed is identical it's just that the metal cutting blade is a smaller diameter so the speed of travel of the cutting tooth will be less. They're also similar power motors so I was tempted to give it a try, I'm just not sure if the centre fitting is the same because nobody around me has stock on the shelf that I can look at :(.
marvo you can get shims off the shelf if the bore of the blades are different

I have the 18v Dewalt metal cutting circular saw if I remember the spec correctly it gives maximum cutting thickness to be 3mm steel but I have used it to cut 6 - 8mm thick steel taking my time

I use the makita 18v metal cutting saw all the time, for 41mm and shallow uni, also rod, and its great for cutting tray too.
Its best with a fresh fully charged battery, but then again that applies to all battery tools.

why would you use a circular saw? use a grinder, much better and you can swap the blade for masonry to do chases etc as well.

the only time ill use a circular saw is taking up floorboards

I am commercial spark mate, grinders are not allowed on the sites I work on. So I have to find an alternative method hence circular saw as I do not need a hot works or a permit as I would for a chop saw.

Its site politics and H&S.

cheers

I am commercial spark mate, grinders are not allowed on the sites I work on. So I have to find an alternative method hence circular saw as I do not need a hot works or a permit as I would for a chop saw.

Its site politics and H&S.

cheers
its down to each site mate, we do a lot of ahu's and dont need permits.

like i say its down to the blade if you need one or not.

most sites are not that strict, chopsaws with a tct blade dont create sparks so are allowed without hotworks.

if they wont let us do it without a permit we set up a cutting room off site and bring the gear in (we have all access keys and swipe cards)

I use the makita 18v metal cutting saw all the time, for 41mm and shallow uni, also rod, and its great for cutting tray too.
Its best with a fresh fully charged battery, but then again that applies to all battery tools.

Same as makita the nuts
But I think Panasonic was the 1st
Tray trunking all cut with ease and straight
Once you use one you want use anything else
Blade needs to be new and battery charged for it to be effective IMO

Reply to Metal Cutting circular saw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net