Discuss Oven issues in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steviecuk

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. Having a problem with my double oven. I turned it on today, (it was already on as in the clock was displayed, but as I turned the knob for the oven to come on) there was a spark and killed the fuse and RCD. Turning it all back on proved the oven as dead. Power is getting into the back and up to the main PCB as pictured below.

I have removed the PCB and found scorch marks where something has blown and taken out some other bits. I do know a little bit about electronics and know my way around a soldering iron but only basic need-to-know stuff so was hoping for some help from the experts as I am hoping it is something I can just order online and solder on to replace.
I have attached a photo of the PCB with the issues that I can see (not saying that there isn't more). I have put my multimeter across some of the damaged parts and have tagged the results.

1. I know this is a transistor and it has a pin come off the board and will need replacing. Are these all the same or will it be specific?

2. From searching the S10K275 number printed on it this is a Varistor. This has a long blown from the board.

3. I assume a capacitor of some sort from the 'C' number printed on the PCB next to it. The left and middle one show some resistance when MM put on 2M but the right one doesn't read anything.

4. Jumper wire also blown. Can I replace this with a normal piece of wire or does it have to be something specific?

My questions are, can anyone tell me where they think the problem might have originated? Does the above sound right? If I manage to find and replace the above parts, is it likely to work or do you think these would have blown due to a different problem somewhere else?

Oh, not sure if its worth mentioning, but I took the lamp in the oven out and it has blown. I thought it be a little much if the lamp blew and took out the PCB but I dunno??

Thank you all in advance, any advice or help needed.

SteveBlownPCB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just noticed something. On the underside, the pins labeled L3 go to the JP wire thats blown. It then splits off to the blown Varistor, then to the yellow transformer looking thing behind it.

1. Is that a transformer?
2. Is there a way of testing this whilst powered down for faults with a MM?
3. Could it be the yellow thing that has caused the problem and just a few little components?

Reply to Oven issues in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net