Search the forum,

Discuss RCD Tripping - Advice Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So basically like a few other people, I really need some advice from some professional electricians and found this forum so I really hope someone out there can help.

Basically we had a hot tub installed back in June 2017, everything was running fine, till we went for a holiday in December 2017 so turned it off. When we came back, filled it back up and turned in on. Ever since that month 2 weeks after, our RCD seems to be tripping every now and again very randomly.

We called in a electrician who stated "I told you your old consumer unit may not supply enough power and it's given up". At that point, other devices in the home like our speakers were tripping the RCD instantly but yet at the neighbours house when tested, didn't.

So we went ahead with his advice of changing the whole consumer unit (he said it was worthwhile as the new 17th Regs came out and wouldn't hurt as it was 10 years old+)

So now once he fitted the new consumer unit, turned everything back on.. and voila all sorted. However, a week later, the new consumer unit RCD is tripping again! We tried to do our own fault finding and found that turning of the hot tub stopped the tripping. Called him and he said he doubts its the hot tub, so we called him out to come and see. In front of me, he showed and said the hot tub is fine, and is showing the correct voltage/amps at the tub. He said the next step is to do fault finding but its going to be running into the hundreds £££ and said the next time it happens try and unplug everything and plug one by one in to see if we can work out what's causing the RCD to trip, otherwise he's going to have to come and rampage through all the devices/sockets and made out it's a massive job.

So he left, and long and behold it tripped later on, so I did what he recommended, unplugged all our plugs from the sockets, and plugged them one by one..RCD didn't trip.

So having all circuits on again, the RCD seems to be tripping again and again daily. For example a 2 days ago, it tripped twice, just yesterday it tripped four times.

I still have a serious hunch its the hot tub, so yesterday night, turned it off at the consumer unit, and touch wood, it hasn't tripped up to now.

My question is to the electricians out there, is the hot tub causing the RCD to trip? The electrician said it's not the hot tub, yet when I turn the circuit off to the hot tub it hasn't tripped the RCD (as of yet).

I was also doing a bit of research about this earth leakage topic, and I'm not sure if I'm right, but am I right in thinking that if there is enough earth leakage on all the circuits it would trip the RCD? Reason being is that if I go with the theory its the hot tub, I'm guessing when the blowers automatically come on, or the pump/heater comes on, it's possibly sending a spike over the RCD limit?

The reason I came up with this theory is that we do run a small business from home, we have about 3 pc's, 8 monitors, 2 big laser printers, two freezers, three fridges..etc do you think that the earth leakage of all these are adding up, and the hot tub is the cherry on the top that's causing the it to trip randomly?

Just as background information, he's put a single RCD that's connected to our Kitchen Sockets, Upstairs Sockets, Downstairs Sockets, Shower, Utility Room Sockets and the hot tub. He has then used RCBO's on each lighting circuit.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Jake

Your last paragraph concerns me. In such a situation, all the circuits should have been on RCBO's, the sockets more so than the lights. A single RCD involving so many power circuits is asking for trouble with total leakage current.
He sounds incompetent.

It would seem thayyhis "Electrician" of yours. is as the previous post suggests, doesn't know what he is doing.
Was the only reason he charged you for a CU change, that it was 10 years old, if so that is carp, a full test Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) should have been the call, NOT spending ££££££s on a CU change witjout any evidenseother than it's 10 years old, ludicrous, get the install tested, and study the findings, could be something simple, or not, but changing things for the sake of it is not the answer. It mifgt well be the Tub, but until some testing is done you may never know.

Your current electrician is just seeing :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: each time you call him out. I install electric's for hot tubs in Kent and London and all day long would of put on a rcbo. submit a picture of your new board and i'll try and advise. Did you get a certificate for the new consumer unit??

Hey Everyone,

So clearly from the feedback I have received the electrician who came doesn't know what they're doing, I'm really concerned now.

@Murdoch Here is a picture of the fuseboard
fuseboard.jpg

@camerabloke, @ipf, @Pete999, @TonyMitchell and everyone else

Thank you for all your responses, I'm so glad you've all confirmed the same thing. Can't thank you all enough

I feel sick right now...knowing that I could have probably been ok with the old fuse board.

So more importantly, I'm definitely getting another electrician, but just to clarify so I won't get done again... how would this be resolved, do I just need an RCBO fitted on each circuit? or just the hot tub only?

^^ that is just dam right DUMB .................................

On his certificates, what scheme logo does he have?

Napit
NICEIC
Stroma
Elecsa

You have very justifiable reasons to write to his scheme and complain about his actions and his inability to design and install a domestic fuseboard with any competence.

Where in London are you?

And why are some lights on a MCB?

Can you post a copy of the certificate, just the page with the test results, redacting any personal information?

Thanks for your reply @Murdoch,

I'm not sure of any scheme or logo's, I can ask him when I call him next. I'm from Northampton.

Going back to how to resolve this, from what it sounds, is this a big bodge up? will I need another electrician to rewire the whole thing? or is it easy to fix? I'm worried now I need more money to fix all this.. :(

I'm not sure of any scheme or logo's, I can ask him when I call him next. I'm from Northampton.

Going back to how to resolve this, from what it sounds, is this a big bodge up? will I need another electrician to rewire the whole thing? or is it easy to fix? I'm worried now I need more money to fix all this.. :(

Surely his paperwork states this?

Did you get any certification?
Did you get an invoice?
Did you get Part P notification

Re your location - why do you say "london" when you are in Northampton?

I already feel sick as it is @ipf, if I give out the figure I think i'm just going to faint, could you tell me what an average charge would be to change this to this new one?
Presuming it was just to change the consumer unit, with the RCBO's, 450-500 ish, I would imagine. Depends exactly what he did.

I already feel sick as it is @ipf, if I give out the figure I think i'm just going to faint, could you tell me what an average charge would be to change this to this new one?
Presuming it was just to change the consumer unit, with the RCBO's, 450-500 ish, I would imagine. Depends exactly what he did.
That is Wylex ........... so the bill was probably closer to £625
Maybe. Top of my head and presuming no probs.

Thanks @camerabloke, I'll get back to you soon.

Honestly the community here is 100% strong, I had posted on another forum, and they were telling me that it's one of my speakers were faulty...honestly goes to show that some electricians like yourselves know what your doing and some don't have a clue. I'm definitely not giving him any more money, however, I can breathe a bit knowing that I hopefully wasn't completely ripped off...It was £600.

Do you know how much more it would be to fix this in my position?, I appreciate your offers to come and help, but honestly need to keep some money aside to fix this mess.

Do you know how much more it would be to fix this in my position?, I appreciate your offers to come and help, but honestly need to keep some money aside to fix this mess.

That is almost impossible to say.

My thoughts are site visit to use my earth leakage clamp meter and almost certainly swap the hot tub on to a RCBO

Why the lights are on a MCB needs investigation - and hence why what the "spark" wrote on the certificate may be enlightening...

Thanks @camerabloke, I'll get back to you soon.

Honestly the community here is 100% strong, I had posted on another forum, and they were telling me that it's one of my speakers were faulty...honestly goes to show that some electricians like yourselves know what your doing and some don't have a clue. I'm definitely not giving him any more money, however, I can breathe a bit knowing that I hopefully wasn't completely ripped off...It was £600.

I'd suggest no hot tubbing for a while, then...;)

Ok thanks for all your replies.

@Murdoch I'll have a look at the paperwork tomorrow, all I remember however is them saying something about our house wiring was tripping because of a "shared neutral" ? I'm not sure if that's the reason the MCB is there.

Ok thanks for all your replies.

@Murdoch I'll have a look at the paperwork tomorrow, all I remember however is them saying something about our house wiring was tripping because of a "shared neutral" ? I'm not sure if that's the reason the MCB is there.
If that's the case, it should have been sorted out with the job...they've just left it open to further problems. That mcb indicates.

@ipf @camerabloke

Honestly, I've just developed a really bad migraine, I feel completely gutted inside.. especially if they should have fixed the issue. I honestly never thought this would happen to us personally, see it on tv and video's but I hope this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix.

Thanks for your replies...I'm definitely not using that hot tub till this is checked over :eek: I hope there isn't more of a nightmare inside the consumer unit

I understand your worry @jakeevans I dont think this is going to cost too much to put right - there are a few knowledgable folk on this forum not far from where the hot tub is in northampton who might be able to help, assuming the cable out to the hot tub is up to scratch and a suitable size then it could just be a case of some testing and subsequent moving some bits around in the consumer unit to better share out your circuits and placing the hottub on its own suitable rcbo. in any case I wouldnt get your electrician back... he sees you as £ signs

This week came across a new wylex dual RCD board, two sockets circuits,kitchen and rest of the house. Rest of the house on a non RCD MCB way. The guy wanted some more sockets in the lounge, suspicions aroused a quick test showed 0,00 megohms N-E on the MCB ring. Apparently the monkey who changed the board had explained that it was not permitted for all the sockets in the house to be on an RCD!!....so as long as at least the kitchen was RCD'd it complied. Bullsh......t at it's most sophisticated.
No extra sockets till that's sorted matey!

Reply to RCD Tripping - Advice Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net