Discuss RCD Tripping - Advice Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agree with all the comments about the way RCBO's have been used, and never a good idea to lump all power circuits.
Also check that the sockets for your IT equipment have separated earths - two separate earth terminals for each socket.
Get insulation and earth leakage test on hot tub.
And find a new electrician.
Really?
It's a house, hardly likely to have enough IT equipment for that to be an issue.

Hi @sparksfly, thanks for your advice, so I had a word first thing this morning with the existing electrician ( I couldn't sleep) and he did say he thought he put the hot tub on the RCBO (but it wasn't), maybe a genuine mistake, maybe not, anyhow he said he'll rectify the issue by moving it to an RCBO at no charge. So you're probably right, might get him to get that sorted and then get someone else to do the testing.

I think i'll also get someone to change all the MCB's to RCBO's as well, it was a pain in the neck trying to find the culprit on this occasion, especially when the electrician said it isn't yet in the end it was.

Thanks for all your help guys as well, @camerabloke, @Murdoch and @Gasinspect.

Really?
It's a house, hardly likely to have enough IT equipment for that to be an issue.
he said he runs his business from home, and gave a list of IT equipment he had. then a slight earth leak on hot tub might be enough to tip it. just a thought. had an issue once with a customer who had home office, a few computers and a server - and a dishwasher! We changed sockets for ones with dual earth terminals. Your raise an interesting point - how much IT equipment would you allow without separating the earths?

This thread is unbelievable. You have two problems, one finding a decent electrician in Northants, two the hot tub. Solution, contact Raybell skip hire to place the hot tub in the skip result, rcd tripping gone and street cred improved with the hot tub gone:D

@Gasinspect that's exactly what I thought, I think the hot tub is just touching the brim and causing it to trip. It explains the intermittence trips as its probably the hot tub just automatically turning on its pump/heater or blowers.

Just to confirm though, if I get all RCBO's for all circuits, that will mean that any earth leakage will remain on that single circuit and won't affect others right?

I expect that your RCD trips at 30milliamps, so if earth leakage approaches that figure it will trip. Of course being electromechanical they can also occasionally be faulty. Some of the guys that have replied obviously know their stuff and have offered to come and sort it so go for it. Note the one who said he would fit a type c for a hot tub, worth considering.

@Gasinspect that's exactly what I thought, I think the hot tub is just touching the brim and causing it to trip. It explains the intermittence trips as its probably the hot tub just automatically turning on its pump/heater or blowers.

Just to confirm though, if I get all RCBO's for all circuits, that will mean that any earth leakage will remain on that single circuit and won't affect others right?

Yes, the 30mA RCD allows up to 30mA (less in practice) earth leakage in total from all the circuits fed from it. The RCBO fed circuits each have their own 30mA 'quota' of earth leakage.

@Gasinspect

Hum ...... Randomly changing parts without competence and test kit is NOT ADVISED.

I note you haven't provided any details of what the certificate says .......

So op, is this your installation gone wrong?

Thanks @DPG, that answered my question.
All I asked this for was for pure information, so I know what's going on rather than having anymore go wrong

Also thanks @Murdoch,@DPG,@Pete999 & @sparksburnout for jumping to conclusions, you honestly think I'm going to even touch a consumer unit yet alone know how to change an RCBO, that's why I'm always cautious when people offer things FOC.... can put the blame on the customer

Thanks @DPG, that answered my question.
All I asked this for was for pure information, so I know what's going on rather than having anymore go wrong

Also thanks @Murdoch,@DPG,@Pete999 & @sparksburnout for jumping to conclusions, you honestly think I'm going to even touch a consumer unit yet alone know how to change an RCBO, that's why I'm always cautious when people offer things FOC.... can put the blame on the customer
I don't think we jumped, we were led, bit by bit........

Smell all you like @MDJ, i'm just an honest customer looking for some advice...
I have never had a customer ask me things like:
Is installing a socket under kitchen sink pipes ok?

Also one other question, for their consumer unit, all their circuits were on RCBO's, is that common practice? and is ok?

The only offers I see you have had that are FOC are a site visit to understand the problem first hand ................ this is very normal and once I've been onsite, then and only then would I discuss options and rough costs with a client.

Anyone asking for money to just pay you or is it your mum? a visit should be avoided IMHO.

Do you have a certificate from the installer of the fuseboard?

The only offers I see you have had that are FOC are a site visit to understand the problem first hand ................ this is very normal and once I've been onsite, then and only then would I discuss options and rough costs with a client.

Anyone asking for money to just pay you or is it your mum? a visit should be avoided IMHO.

Do you have a certificate from the installer of the fuseboard?
That's the third time you have asked that are you getting dementia?

That's the third time you have asked that are you getting dementia?

No................ but after 2 attempts and no reasonable response from the OP one does wonder if it actually exists ....................... and then the OP gets arsy .....................

Edit : I see you are in Notts - you didn't do the install!:)

Reply to RCD Tripping - Advice Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net