Discuss Re L: Electromax Combi Electric Boiler Problem. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good Morning Forum.

I have an issue with a customers Heatrea Sadia Electromax Combi Boiler, i was wondering if any one had much dealings with fault finding on those units.

Im based in Aberdeen, going on 19 years self employed up here. 6 years ago we installed one of these Electromax Combi boilers whilst rewiring the property, the boiler has never given the owners any problems until recently. The owners reported that the Red alarm light had come on and the boiler would not operate the heating system, water heating is fine but the heating side just enters alarm. There are no other indicators flashing along with this i.e no red flashing on demand. I have visited the property & i went through all the fault finding procedures, i checked that the flow & return valves were open, checked the pressure valve was at about 1.5, checked the 2 3 amp fuses, checked supply's,checked that the pump run light on pcb comes on, basically i have gone through everything i can think of. The thing that has me going round in circles is that when i have visited the property, switched the supply's off & reset the system it has never gone into fault whilst i have been there, the boiler runs fine & no fault materialises, i have sat there for 4 hours whilst the boiler runs perfectly, the pump runs & heating goes through to the radiators, the room stat controls everything fine, comes upto temperature shuts down then starts again when demand calls, but when i have gone, the customer calls again next day to report the same fault. According to fault finding indicator it points to a flow problem, but i just cant track this down & it refuses to enter fault condition whilst im present. Any ideas anyone, have you come across anything like this.

Regards.
Sean.

Just an early morning thought - flow problem occurs once everything is up to working temp? This boiler has an auto bypass valve that is set up during commissioning and perhaps its now duff? Maybe repeat that bit of the commissioning and check it still operates? Even simpler check is take off trv on rad near stat and ensure there is always a flow path. See if problem vanishes. Good hunting !

Just an early morning thought - flow problem occurs once everything is up to working temp? This boiler has an auto bypass valve that is set up during commissioning and perhaps its now duff? Maybe repeat that bit of the commissioning and check it still operates? Even simpler check is take off trv on rad near stat and ensure there is always a flow path. See if problem vanishes. Good hunting !

Good afternoon Wilko.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Your suggestion of taking off the TRV next to wall clock/stat to make sure there will always be a flow was exactly my thought on last visit, i did this but the system still went into fault alarm later after i had left. I had a look at the bypass valve, it's a little difficult to determine at which point on setting it when the water passes it as the return branch is pretty close to the outlet side of the bypass valve & you can feel heat from both. I have it set at around 3 just now. I was hoping that by removing TRV It would have eliminated any flow problem if there was one.

It's one of those faults that you wish it would happen whilst you are present, but it has only happened after i have left & that's after i have allowed the system to reach temperature & begin again, it's strange everything seems to work whilst im there, radiators warm up nicely, can hear the pump running, pressure gauge sits at 1.5, all the lights that should light up on the pcb beside the tank come on. This one has me going a little nuts.

Regards.

Sean.

Good afternoon Wilko.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Your suggestion of taking off the TRV next to wall clock/stat to make sure there will always be a flow was exactly my thought on last visit, i did this but the system still went into fault alarm later after i had left. I had a look at the bypass valve, it's a little difficult to determine at which point on setting it when the water passes it as the return branch is pretty close to the outlet side of the bypass valve & you can feel heat from both. I have it set at around 3 just now. I was hoping that by removing TRV It would have eliminated any flow problem if there was one.

It's one of those faults that you wish it would happen whilst you are present, but it has only happened after i have left & that's after i have allowed the system to reach temperature & begin again, it's strange everything seems to work whilst im there, radiators warm up nicely, can hear the pump running, pressure gauge sits at 1.5, all the lights that should light up on the pcb beside the tank come on. This one has me going a little nuts.

Regards.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

I hope all is well. I appreciate this issue was quite some time ago but did you ever identify the problem and manage to find a solution. I believe I have exactly the same issue and it is very annoying!

Kind regards,

Ed

Hi Sean,

I hope all is well. I appreciate this issue was quite some time ago but did you ever identify the problem and manage to find a solution. I believe I have exactly the same issue and it is very annoying!

Kind regards,

Ed
Good evening Ed.

Ed , yes i eventually found the reason for the fault & it drove me crazy. Ed, we found that there was a problem with the Main PCB Board & we believe it actually stemmed from the date of manufacture. If you open up the casing & remove the top panel also you will find a metal covered sort of control box high up on the right hand side, in side this box you will find the Main PCB Board for the heating controls. Ed once you get this PCB Board open, look along the spade connections until you see one called (From Conn 1 Pump Live) & the one next to it called (To Conn 1 Pump Neutral) now what you will probably find is that the spade connections are actually in the wrong positions, the Live brown wired spade has been connected to the Neutral terminal & the Neutral Blue spade connection has been connected to the Live terminal (Wrong Way Round) If you look on the underside of this PCB Board were those spade connections are you will most likely find that the board has signs of burning at those terminals, just look closely at the board just in front of those two spade connections, i will put money on it its the same problem as we found, we had it on two identical boilers. Ed you will need to replace the Main PCB Board, after that it works fine & has for years now.

Ed here is the part number (Baxi 95615065 MAIN PCB - ELECTROMAX

Part Number: 95615065 If i remember correctly i just done a search online for the part, some heating supplier has them, cost about £55.00

Ed if you have an email address send it through to me & i will send you pictures of what we found. Send to [email protected]

All the best Sean.

Reply to Re L: Electromax Combi Electric Boiler Problem. in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock