Currently reading:
Safe fused sour isolation palava

Discuss Safe fused sour isolation palava in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi there guys,

I'm a lowly gas man but thought I would put my hand out to you helpful electricians to see if there is a better way to do the following!

I work for a rather large gas service and repair company and health and safety as I'm sure you will know is going a bit bonkers at the minute. Obviously I can see why but nevertheless I think there must be a better way than what they suggest to us.

Whenever I work on a boiler or system even if the spur is directly next to the appliance I have to remove the fuse and mechanically lock off the fused spur holder. At the minute the way we have been told to do it is with a tie wrap. Is there actually a proper item of kit hat will do this job instead of having to cut use cut use cut use tie wraps sometimes 4-5 times when in the house in between testing. It's bonkers I know but we have to do it so fair do's. I know they do a red box that you can fit under the two screws to the fused spur which you then can padlock but again that's adding more time to the situation

Hope someone can point me I the right direction

Kindest regards
Hisham

proper way is to ID the circuit breaker for the circuit you are working on. then utilise this ( or similar ).

shopping

with a padlock.

It seems BG are attempting to provide a system of locking off the line conductor from a fused spur using a device that requires a tool to remove (i.e. a cable tie).
If the fused spur were not on a socket circuit I am not sure how you could prove dead without removing it from the wall, though presumably you can test at the boiler terminals.
The IET and posters above have recommend using a padlock through the fuse holder like so.

SFCU lock out.jpg

It seems BG are attempting to provide a system of locking off the line conductor from a fused spur using a device that requires a tool to remove (i.e. a cable tie).
If the fused spur were not on a socket circuit I am not sure how you could prove dead without removing it from the wall, though presumably you can test at the boiler terminals.
The IET and posters above have recommend using a padlock through the fuse holder like so.

View attachment 38419
Yes Richard they would in their infinite wisdom, no mention of testing for polarity though? still think it's best to isolate at the CU, but each to his own I guess.

Removing the fuse from the fused spur, only isolates the Live conductor, which is not a good idea, the fused spur, may have been inadvertently been connected up incorrectly ie reversed polarity, securing the fuse holder is stupid as anyone working with you could easily cut the tie wrap, rendering your companies idea of safe isolation useless, There are kits out there that allow you to isolate the Circuit Breaker (CBs) covering the circuit the fused spur is connected to, and these can be bought from many of the Electrical wholesaler that litter the industrial estates.
Since most domestic MCBs are single pole, and it's not unknown to have reverse polarity on the supply tails, how is it safer to isolate at an MCB rather than at a SFCU?

Reply to Safe fused sour isolation palava in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock