Discuss Shed Supply on TNCS/PME in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks Davesparks, that had been my preferred method if at all possible. As luck would have it, I spoke with a friend who works for the local DNO and he has confirmed exactly what you have just mentioned. I also spoke with another friend who has some 4-core 16mm SWA and 110mm twinwall ducting as an off-cut (he works on large private network installations and 25m is an "off cut" for them. I know the ducting is a bit over kill, but it's free, so why not!?

My intention is to use a none RCD protected MCB currently in the CU, utilising the 16mm SWA to supply an RCD-protected, small garage type consumer unit with a MCB for the sockets, and a MCB for the lighting. I will use the 3rd core as suggested. Hopefully I can take the SWA straight to the house CU, but I have a feeling that I will need to terminate the SWA and continue the supply in T+E back to the CU. Unfortunately, the house's CU is back in the centre of the house in an understairs cupboard.

It's staggering that the myth about sheds and PME/TNCS still persists.

Working on rolling stock, I have never really had much need to investigate this myth, I just remember hearing it mentioned on these sorts of forums in yesrs gone by.

Well with a 4 core 16mm SWA Lewis in the case of your job you could have a 32mm2 CPC if you wanted !

My intention is to use a none RCD protected MCB currently in the CU, utilising the 16mm SWA to supply an RCD-protected, small garage type consumer unit with a MCB for the sockets, and a MCB for the lighting. I will use the 3rd core as suggested. Hopefully I can take the SWA straight to the house CU, but I have a feeling that I will need to terminate the SWA and continue the supply in T+E back to the CU. Unfortunately, the house's CU is back in the centre of the house in an understairs cupboard.

[\QUOTE]

Converting to T&E may put you back at square one with the need for an RCD for the submain depending on how it is installed/routed.

The 'best' way to do it, in my opinion, would be to run the SWA back to the CU location and fit a switch fuse to protect it rather than an mcb.

My thoughts exactly Dave. The more I look at the cable route through the house, the more I think it will be difficult. Unfortunately, the downstairs floor is solid concrete though. I should be able to SWA right up to the external wall and then terminate in to an IP box and run T+E under the upstairs floor and back down to the top of the cupboard where the CU is located. I am able to install it in trunking/conduit.

Alternatively there is a redundant piece of SWA which runs from the adjacent wall to the C.U., across the garage ceiling joists, down the side of the garage, under the decking to an outside IP box to provide a supply to the conservatory (I don't know why they did it that way either, so don't ask!!) That's now redundant now the conservatory is on the ring, so I could potentially use that, depending on it's size, integrity, etc. but it's routing is not ideal (looks like it's just chucked straight under the decking!)

I shall investigate further when I'm home, and let you all know the outcome/finished product.

Basic requirements for earthing and bonding
Where an installation serves more than one building, main protective bonding is required in each building served, except for a building where there are no extraneous-conductive-parts, such as metallic water, gas or oil installation pipes (Regulation 411.3.1.2 refers).

Option 1: Extending the earthing and bonding system

Shed Supply on TNCS/PME {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

The image shows an example of the earthing and bonding arrangements where the installation in a house is extended to serve a detached outbuilding. A Building Earth Marshalling Terminal (BEMT) is usually provided in the outbuilding to marshal together the main bonding conductor(s), if any, and the circuit protective conductors (cpcs) in that building. The BEMT must be connected to the MET by:

• the cpc of the distribution circuit supplying the outbuilding, and

• a main bonding conductor, if there are any extraneous-conductive-parts at the outbuilding.

As shown, the functions of the cpc and main bonding conductor (if any) may be combined in a single protective conductor having a cross sectional area (csa) meeting the requirements for both functions.

Option 2: Making the installation in the detached outbuilding part of a TT system with its own installation earth electrode and MET

The image shows an example of the earthing and bonding arrangements where an installation in a house supplies an installation in a detached outbuilding, forming part of a TT system with its own installation earth electrode and MET. It is desirable for there to be no connection between the earthing and bonding arrangement of the installation in the outbuilding and that of the installation in the house (such as through a protective conductor or shared metallic pipeline), as shown.

Note: Although both options show an earthing facility provided by the distributor being used as the means of earthing (TN-S or TN-C-S system), the earthing conductor could be connected to an installation earth electrode instead (TT system).

Table 1 – Sizing requirements for cpc and main bonding conductor

Note. The requirements of Regulation 544.1.1, referred to in Table 1, can result in a main bonding conductor size greater than that of the live conductors or cpc of the distribution circuit supplying the outbuilding, particularly where PME conditions apply (TN-C-S system).

Table 1 summarises the requirements of BS 7671 for sizing the cpc and main bonding conductor to the outbuilding. If the functions of these two conductors are combined in a single protective conductor, this must have a csa not less than that required for either function. Where there is no such connection, the main requirements of BS 7671 applying to the earthing and bonding are as summarised in Table 2.

Table 2 – Requirements where the outbuilding installation forms part of TT system with no connection to the earthing and bonding arrangements of the house installation:

A further consideration applies where there is a connection between the earthing and bonding arrangement of the detached outbuilding and that of the installation in the house, if the latter installation forms part of a TN-C-S system where PME conditions apply.

Where this is the case, PME diverted neutral current may flow in the connection between the two earthing and bonding systems. To avoid harmful thermal effects caused by this current, the csa of this connection and of the main bonding conductors and the earthing conductor of the installation in the outbuilding needs to meet with the requirements for a main bonding conductor of the installation in the house (which are summarised in Table 1).
F me! did you swallow the reg's book!:)

I should be able to SWA right up to the external wall and then terminate in to an IP box and run T+E under the upstairs floor and back down to the top of the cupboard where the CU is located.

Just be aware that the T+E may need RCD protection, if you do it this way.

Just be aware that the T+E may need RCD protection, if you do it this way.

Am I correct in thinking that only RCD protection is required on the submain if it is in a wall and to a depth of 50mm or less? I can mechanically protect the run with galvanised trunking or similar (straight run across the floor and then a short 600mm run down the wall to the CU. Just not sure if I can achieve the bend radius to get the SWA up the side of the house, in beneath the ceiling/floor void and then down the wall. I'll have a proper look when I'm home and see which methods are possible with regard to cabling.

FFS.….it's a shed with a few sockets and a few led lights with no other services.
I'd be very surprised if the load is going to be anywhere near 30 amps. Get a run of 6mm 3 core swa, from main CU to shed CU, put in from a 32A mcb. No jointing, easy to run and no rcd protection needed, except at the shed.

Unless you're thinking of putting in a hot tub or sauna,
that is.;)
16mm 4 core.....you could feed a decent size indoor swimming pool with that...

Last edited:
FFS.….it's a shed with a few sockets and a few led lights with no other services.
I'd be very surprised if the load is going to be anywhere near 30 amps. Get a run of 6mm 3 core swa, from main CU to shed CU, put in from a 32A mcb. No jointing, easy to run and no rcd protection needed, except at the shed.

Unless you're thinking of putting in a hot tub or sauna,
that is.;)
16mm 4 core.....you could feed a decent size indoor swimming pool with that...

IPF, I thought I mentioned it in an earlier post, but maybe not: I'm trying to future proof the installation and the Mrs Ashton does keep mentioning a hot tub. I know the 16mm is overkill, but it is free and I'm a tight Yorkshireman. :laughing:

I might just go with the original idea of ducting it (also got some available for free!) And use the smaller SWA.....even if I do have to buy it. :laughing: At least if Mrs Ashton decides on a hot tub eventually, it doesn't mean ripping up the garden!

IPF, I thought I mentioned it in an earlier post, but maybe not: I'm trying to future proof the installation and the Mrs Ashton does keep mentioning a hot tub. I know the 16mm is overkill, but it is free and I'm a tight Yorkshireman. :laughing:

I might just go with the original idea of ducting it (also got some available for free!) And use the smaller SWA.....even if I do have to buy it. :laughing: At least if Mrs Ashton decides on a hot tub eventually, it doesn't mean ripping up the garden!
Fair enough, Lewis. 16mm 4core will be difficult to work with and is real over kill. Even future proofing, 10mm 3 core will suffice, easily, and you wont find many more problems installing that rather than 10mm T+E, plus you've got your 10mm earth for bonding. Use a m/clad adaptable box or isolator, next to the CU for termination, if you have problems terminating directly.
Good luck and let us know how you go on with it.

edit. PS...….tight yorkie t*** ;)

Last edited:
Duly noted IPF, and I know that you are right and I should really dip my hand in my pocket and just buy the 10mm 3core (found 25metres for around £80 online which doesn't seem too bad). My "back of a smoke packet" calculations give me a load of up to 60A before I would need to worry about cable size. Even a couple of sockets, some lights and the fanciest hot tub Mrs A can find isn't going to pull more than 60A.

I should be good on the SWA termination at the CU; I got a good deal on one of the large Schnieder CU's when the house was rewired. So much easier to work with than some of the poxy little CU's you find!

I just hope she doesn't see your post about a swimming pool.....she may get ideas. :weary:

I shall let you know how I get on with it; it'll be a few weeks yet. I'm just recovering from putting up 30 odd bays of concrete post & gravelboard fencing, and on day 5 of 12 at work. :confounded:

Thanks for your clear and concise suggestions IPF; it is very much appreciated.

Reply to Shed Supply on TNCS/PME in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock