Discuss Sky fibre optic in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Khan

-
Reaction score
Hello all. I have got virgin media vibe optic but thinking to change all my utility to sky because my phone and tv are with them. I was wondering how would sky fibre optic work. Like where will cables be run from and what cables and if it's hd what they would use. At the moment I have virgin media fibre optic which is run via a coax cable from a small brown box just outside the front door which runs to a splitter, I can not remember what gb hz it is but from there 2 coax are outgoing one to Virgin box and one to Internet any help please

Fibre won't come to your house. It should only go to your box at the end of the road, or perhaps not even that far...

New build properties are quite often now getting fibre to the house.

So when companies have got adverts on sayin fibre optic Internet. How would that work. Plus what is the coax cable run for virgin media isn't that fibre optic. Instead if them using cat v

There has been a lot of "discussion" with OFCOM about what can be (and cannot) be classified as "fibre" delivery. After a lot of arguing it's settled down to be accepted that the term can be used where fibre is used to a "street cabinet" with coaxial (Virgin) or twisted pair (BT OpenReach) used for the final connection to each house. Both know as Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) being the latest technology to be introduced which is true "fibre delivery"
This link is a guide to the technology & terminology and the site has some very useful information for those that are interested :-
thinkbroadband :: Broadband Guides - How to make the most of your broadband

Reply to Sky fibre optic in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net