Currently reading:
Socket outlet from a lighting feed?

Discuss Socket outlet from a lighting feed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phawk

Pretty sure I know what you will say but I wanted to run it by the forum before I give the client an answer......

I've been asked (for some reason) to install a socket in their loft. The problem is that the only accessible cable is the 1.5mm T&E permanent feed for the loft light. Is there any way of doing this whilst complying to regs? Possibly break into the cable with a JB then fit a 5A fused spur before the socket?

Before you ask....

The loft is boarded, there is no access to any other cable.
No, I do not know why they want a socket in the loft, and neither do they!

Thanks

Pretty sure I know what you will say but I wanted to run it by the forum before I give the client an answer......

I've been asked (for some reason) to install a socket in their loft. The problem is that the only accessible cable is the 1.5mm T&E permanent feed for the loft light. Is there any way of doing this whilst complying to regs? Possibly break into the cable with a JB then fit a 5A fused spur before the socket?

Before you ask....

The loft is boarded, there is no access to any other cable.
No, I do not know why they want a socket in the loft, and neither do they!

Thanks

Well one problem I can see straight away & regardless of anything else, is that as sure a night follows day, at some point in the future, that 5amp fuse is going to be changed for something heavier & something that draws a fair bit of juice is going to be running off it ......... but you know this already don't you? ;)

I like Strimas idea, bit like the fixed 2A lighting sockets, if they want a standard socket then label the FCU and socket maximum 5A only and then it is up to the user if they ignore the labels, however the lighting breaker will trip before the cable is overloaded.

If it was for a specific item that needed plugging in, but didn't require much current, then I might be tempted to install a single socket straight off the lighting circuit with a sticker - 5 amps - ***** only
However, if they just want a socket up there for general use, then connecting it to the lighting circuit is just asking for future problems.

If you fit the 5A rounds then you're complying. If the householder then replaces with standard 13A fixtures that's their problem as you'll have paperwork to back you up. As Geordie said, you cannot prevent stupidity.

Strima, that question mark was a typo! Honest! (unless you've found the answer to fitting a square peg into a round hole lol!)

Bottom line is, there doesn't look like there's any way to fit a standard socket outlet off a lighting feed whilst complying to regs. Thought as much!

Thanks everyone

Strima, that question mark was a typo! Honest! (unless you've found the answer to fitting a square peg into a round hole lol!)

Bottom line is, there doesn't look like there's any way to fit a standard socket outlet off a lighting feed whilst complying to regs. Thought as much!

Thanks everyone

Anything can be fitted into anything if you have a big enough hammer !!! :sunny:

Isn't 1.5 max rating 16amps or so ( depending on instalation method ) worst case they change the fuse to 13amp and it pops the 6 or 10amp mcb. Not ideal but I wouldn't lose any sleep

They could use a four gang trailing socket and chuck a 5A plug on it for all I care... Without knowing what it's for then it's pretty hard to say which way to go.

5A BS1362 in a spur you say ?
pointless , in the event of a fault it will blow a week after a 6A mcb lol.
use a 3A max fuse in the spur with a 10A type B or a 6A type C at the CU and you might get some discrimination.
Unless you've got rewirables at the board , in which case you've got at least 20A to play with.
;-D

Reply to Socket outlet from a lighting feed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock