Discuss Submersible well pump wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Linda M

DIY
Reaction score
Our old three wire pump quit working. We wanted to replace it with a two wire. It was our understanding the pump would actually have three wires: hot, hot & ground. The pump actually has one hot wire, oen neutral wire and one ground. How in the world can this pump be wired to the pressure switch, if it even can.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Linda

Probably easier to send it back and get a 230v pump instead, same as original pump.
it may well be possible to convert the control wiring to deal with the new 110v pump but it might require thicker wires and/or different wiring configuration in the control wiring.

Our old three wire pump quit working. We wanted to replace it with a two wire. It was our understanding the pump would actually have three wires: hot, hot & ground. The pump actually has one hot wire, oen neutral wire and one ground. How in the world can this pump be wired to the pressure switch, if it even can.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
Linda
If you change the pump and it is 240 volt then pull three # 10 wires to it and break the 2 live wires through the pressure switch. The other wire will be your ground. It’s hard to tell you a lot without knowing the HP of the Motor.

Probably easier to send it back and get a 230v pump instead, same as original pump.
it may well be possible to convert the control wiring to deal with the new 110v pump but it might require thicker wires and/or different wiring configuration in the control wiring.
The pump we purchased is supposed to be a 2 HP 230V submersible pump. The wires into the pressure switch from the power source are 110 (2 of them) plus the ground ( I believe he said they were 110). The pump that came out had four wires, black, yellow, red & green. We were told it would be no issue to convert to the two wire (hot, hot & ground) but the pump we got has one black (hot), one white (neutral) and one green. We went with the two wire because the control panel is in the pump and supposebly less issues than an exterior control box. Returning the pump seems to be the only option now and go back to the three wire with the control box. I sure hate pulling another pump that's almost 100 feet down.

If you change the pump and it is 240 volt then pull three # 10 wires to it and break the 2 live wires through the pressure switch. The other wire will be your ground. It’s hard to tell you a lot without knowing the HP of the Motor.
The pump is 2HP 1500W 230V 60HZ, or at least that's what I ordered.

The pump we purchased is supposed to be a 2 HP 230V submersible pump. The wires into the pressure switch from the power source are 110 (2 of them) plus the ground ( I believe he said they were 110). The pump that came out had four wires, black, yellow, red & green. We were told it would be no issue to convert to the two wire (hot, hot & ground) but the pump we got has one black (hot), one white (neutral) and one green. We went with the two wire because the control panel is in the pump and supposebly less issues than an exterior control box. Returning the pump seems to be the only option now and go back to the three wire with the control box. I sure hate pulling another pump that's almost 100 feet down.
Sorry to hear that. Your pump would be more efficient at 230 volts

I’ve been thinking about your pump and if the wire is # 12 and you have three wires the white wire can be marked red on each and used as your second live wire. You already have a ground and your electrician can change the wires in the panel since he will be adding a double pole 20 amp breaker to feed your new pump.

Reply to Submersible well pump wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net